Chapter 21

Once all the cats returned from the burial, Shadestar leapt on top of the high ledge and announced "It is time to announce a new deputy before Starclan."

All the cats mournfully gathered around as Duskbreeze sat with her chest fluffed up and her body stiff.

Dawnheart sat on the other side of the group by her brother, Treebranch, as she wondered who would be chosen.

Shadestar mewed wisely "I choose this deputy in honor of Gingersplash, and I hope Starclan hears and approves my choice."

Duskbreeze looked around the camp at all the cats who looked at each other anxiously. Thats when she saw Shadestar looked at Falconwing.

Duskbreeze let out a quiet hiss under her breath "Fox dung..."

Shadestar announced "Falconwing will be the new deputy of Mistclan."

Cats all around the camp began chanting his name, with all his kits, besides Duskbreese, chanting it louder.

Dawnheart newer happily towards her father "Congratulations Falconwing!"

As he began approaching his kits smiling a little. Treebranch meowed with excitement "We knew you would be picked!"

Falconwing purred as he stood in front of them "Thank you..." His expression went a little angry as he mewed "Though there are some cats who wanted it more than me..."

As he shot a glance at Duskbreeze, who was giving him a nasty and jealous stare.

Stonefall sighed as he mewed "She just really wanted it I guess."

Dreamcloud sat beside Treebranch as she let out a small purr of laughter "She's just jealous of how awesome our father is!"

As they all began laughing, Dawnheart glanced at Duskbreeze as she began walking away towards the dirt place. She's going to the rogues...

Dawnheart stopped laughing as she asked her kin "Should I go talk to her?"

Dreamcloud replied softly "If you want...it might make her feel better."

Dawnheart smiled and nodded as she followed her sister towards the dirt place.

Soon as she turned the corner, she saw Duskbreeze trying to escape through the secret tunnel. Dawnheart mewed sadly "Duskbreeze..."

Duskbreeze looked over her shoulder as she rolled her eyes "What? Are yoy going to tell me Im just not ready for the role as deputy, and that Falconwing was a good choice, and I should be proud to call him my father?"

Dawnheart lifted one paw up as she mewed sternly "No!"

Duskbreeze raised a whisker above her eye with an annoyed look on her face.

Dawnheart confessed quickly "Well yes, that's what I was going to say...but that's not the point!"

Duskbreeze snapped back angry "Then what is the point? I had a chance at being deputy and Falconwing blew it for me! I promised Viper I would become deputy, and eventually leader!"

Dawnheart asked sharply as she stepped closer to Duskbreeze "Why does he want you to be leader so bad? I knew befriending these rogues was a bad idea from the start! They've changed you, Duskbreeze."

Duskbreeze narrowed her eyes as she hissed "You don't know how many tough decisions I have made in my life..."

Dawnheart pleaded "I would if you would just tell me!"

Duskbreeze snarled at her before vanishing into the tunnel "Forget it!"

Dawnheart mewed angry "Fine!" As she spun around and left the dirt place, heading back into the center of the camp. If she doesn't want to say anything, then...then I don't care about what she has to say anymore!