Chapter 22

They did not throw the flowers.

They stared and stared. They hid their children. They made signs on their chests. Some females hurried away as soon as Nikolai was out of sight.

I did not care. I did not buckle under their stares. Let them look I told myself. Let them rebel. I walked ahead. Not caring that I was going the wrong way. They parted for me but did not throw the flower they held in their hands. My ladies followed me. I walked with my head held high and stared right into their eyes.

No female looked away from my stare. Their gazes held contempt and disgust. Some held disbelief and outrage. Some mouths whispered.

Miorisi.

Cursed.

Marked.

Vampire.

They knew I could hear. They knew I could see but they wanted me to hear, to see. They wanted me to feel. And boy, did I feel. I felt like shooting their disgust and contempt right back to them but I had cold acceptance in my eyes. My face was regal and uninterested. I did not want to give them what they wanted.

And they wanted to tick me off.

Nikolai had warned me. Maybe I would make his death quick.

We walked into the forest. The trees were dusted with snow. Their leaves gone. A lone crow sat on a branch and cawed. I wish I could caw back. I could feel the tingling in my arms. The tingling of the change but then I felt a sharp pain in my neck that flowed through my body.

I faltered. Estela put her hand on my shoulder. I shrugged her hand off and breathed through the pain. I would not make Nikolai's death quick.

I continued walking. "Where do we stop?" I asked, to no one in particular as we passed by the crow.

"It's a two hour walk to the Twin Hills and from there we take a horse to the Evernight. We're going to the Dark Castle." Estela answered.

The Dark Castle was a first. My dungeon had been on the castle at the Twin Hills but the Dark Castle was the main base and the Evernight, the capital. I had heard a lot about the Night castle.

Nothing good.

---

Lady Yula was a 7 feet tall half women half horse. She had black hair and an albino horse's body. She was only wearing a leather bra and had a bow strung over her shoulder.

Nikolai bowed to her as a greeting she bowed lower, flashing him her ample cleavage. It did not do anything to Nikolai. He was not one for centaurs.

"You are late, Demon King." She said, her voice sounding ancient.

Nikolai nodded, "My bride was poisoned on our wedding day. We were stalled."

"Poisoned? Your wife has already made enemies. I've heard news of her far and wide. Not all is good. Nothing I've heard is good, infact. They say she is cursed with sight. That she is a vampire? A demon marrying a vampire. It is unheard of. " She said, awed at the news, immediately getting to the point, huh?

Nikolai signed as he sat on his throne. The throne beside him was empty, always had been. But soon, Lunia's graceful form would fill it.

"Unheard of but true. Lunia Vel Miorisi is the new queen of the Demons."

She gasped, her eyes widening. "You married the Vel Miorisi? But she is cursed! From childhood. Nobody gets the sight from childhood. She brings bad luck with her. The Vampires lost the war because of her!"