Chapter 32

Seth and his beta, Ian, a man who looked so similar to Seth that he must've been his brother, led us towards two huge trees that grew over the fence of an old-looking mansion.

"This is our pack house. You can rest, have some food, a shower, probably sleep for the afternoon and then we'll take you to the border."

"Are the Elder species aware that we're coming? " I asked as we entered the pack house and walked through a corridor filled with werewolves bustling around.

"They're aware of everything. Sometimes it feels like we have a mole amongst us but our pack members are loyal to death, they'd never rat us out but there are some exceptions, they live down, though....In the dungeons."

The word itself made me shiver. "Because they weren't loyal enough? " Alexei questions.

"No. That's a lame excuse to put someone in a dungeon. It's because they're criminals. Every pack has its fair shade of do-gooders and do-badders. You know, murder, theft...We have one guy that tried to rape a two year old. "

"Oh gods, shouldn't he be put to death?" I asked, horrified.

"And give him an easy escape to the underworld? He has to suffer in the darkness, not knowing when it's day and when it's night." The beta said.

"Boy, do I know that feeling." I whispered, shivering again.

So ,of course,  it was Nikolai who changed the subject. "Why are we being stared at?"

Ian looked around at wolves that had stopped to stare, he then sends them a sharp glare that has them them scuttling away.

"Yeah..We've not had much contact with...elves. Not every day you have a living, breathing legend walking among you. "

His words made me realise that they were actually staring at me. I looked around more and smiled at some of them. They blushed and hid, some smiled back.

Alexei snorted. "Wouldn't blame you. Elves are not exactly sociable creatures. And let them enjoy the sight of a living, breathing and walking torch light."

I flipped him off, he guffawed, bringing more attention to us. Nikolai shook his head.

"We'll take you up on the offer of a shower and food. Got one man handling our rides, give him some comfort if you can. "

"Please." I added, giving Nikolai a pointed look.

"Please." He repeated after me in a mocking voice. Alexei snorted.

"As you wish." Seth grinned.

---

I had a shower while Nikolai slept. It was a small but comfy bed, Nikolai's large frame took much of the space, seeing him sleep made me feel like sleeping too buy I took in the daylight and imagined staying up at night like an owl but given our journey to the place, the journey from here back home was going to be the same.

Wait...Dinhae is not my home.

Bad Lunia. Dinhae is enemy grounds. Nikolai is my enemy. I looked at his sleeping face. Instead of a mean thought, all I could think was, Can I sleep ,too?

So I listened to my brain (It was playing a lullaby Hanes used to sing to me) and hopped in next to Nikolai, stealing some of his soft blanket and wrapping my damp body, snugly.

Immediately, Nikolai's arm came and wrapped around my waist and he snuggled closer.  I patted his cheek, that rested on my shoulder and fell asleep.

---

I woke up to Nikolai's face again. He smiled as I blinked the sleep out of my eyes. Then suddenly he buried his head into the side of my neck, kissing and biting.