Chapter Twenty Eight

You couldn't really comprehend what had just happened.

It all happened so fast.

You put the pieces together into your head, snapping back to reality. Edward had just gotten up at the mention of your parents, walked over to the man, who was sitting in his chair, in an instant, and punched him dead in the face, with his right arm.

Which, was his metal arm.

"Shut.. up. Just shut up. You don't understand what she's been through.. what we've been through. Those insults were unnecessary, and it's none of your business what she does an alchemist. She's trying to protect the city from scumbags like you. If you say another word about her, you're going to regret it, I promise."

You've never heard Edward be so defensive over insults before. 

Mark, or so he calls himself, got a nosebleed, and tried to wipe the flowing blood off of his face. But, it ended up getting into his mousy, greasy hair. The sight of it made you cringe.

Edward came to sit back down beside you without saying a word.

You wanted to thank him, but the tight knot in your throat wouldn't let the words escape from your mouth. 

 You held both of your hands together, squeezed them, and buried your face in them. You wanted to cry, but you just couldn't. You had to be strong.

"We're done playing games." Roy spoke up after some time had passed. "Tell me about your connection to Cameron Aldaine and I'll shorten your prison sentence."

"Colonel, but-"

"Stay out of this, Ed."

Ed groaned quietly, and slumped back down in his seat. You didn't know this, since you weren't looking up, but Ed never took his eyes off of you for more than ten seconds. He was so worried that this man actually had connection to your parents.

"Cameron has been a friend of mine for a very long time. Just a few years ago, we got a lot of allies together to form a group. I won't tell you why we did so, or what our missions and assignments were, but just recently, Cameron issued us to capture the Crimson Blood Alchemist, (F/N) (L/N). If possible, also the Fullmetal Alchemist, Edward Elric. But the girl was our top priority. That's all I'm going to tell you."

"Where is the meeting happening at tonight?"

"I said that's all I'm telling you."

Roy leaned against the back of his seat, looking uncomfortable.

"Then what about my parents?" You were able to make out. "What.. what do you know about them?"

"Oh, them? I've never met them. Aldaine has every bit of information on you, and every other target. I just happened to notice that your parents died in the Ishvalan War."

"What else does he know?"

"Like I said, everything. He knows you and the Elric brothers are close. He also knows where you lived after you ran away from home, and all the people you know from Resembool. That way, if you ever defy us, we can threaten you with the knowledge we have about you. Simple. But, you're too stupid to understand everything anyways."

"What was that last part again?" Ed spoke up. 

"You think I'm scared of you? Just gonna punch me in the face again? I can say what I want. Violence during questioning shouldn't be allowed. Colonel, isn't that right?"

Mustang sighed. "Yes, but-"

"Well, there you have it. Now, cool off and have a seat, shrimp." 

Oh god.

You prepared for World War III, but you were surprised when all Ed did was sit back down and squeeze his fists in anger. He didn't say anything back to the fact that Mark had called him short.

"You can say what you want about me, but don't you dare say anything about (Y/N). Otherwise, you'll really make an enemy of me."

"Like I said, I'm not scared of you. I'll be in jail for a while, anyways. What's up with her, anyways? Is she still upset I talked about her dead parents? Get over it, kid. I can bring up a lot of other stuff you don't wanna talk about. Next time you try and make a fool out of AHAS, you'll be sorry."

You dug your nails into your forehead, your head still resting in your palms.

".. AHAS?"

Mark looked up dumbfounded. He may have accidentally said something he wasn't supposed to. 

"So that's the name of your group. Care to tell me what it stands for? I mean, you've already spilled an important secret. We're going to find them, whether you help us or not. But if you tell us what it stands for, you get to shorten your prison sentence a year. I would think about it if I were you."

Mark pushed back his hair. It was still stained with blood in the front.

"Amestris Homunculi and Alchemy Society." 

"Okay. Thank you for your time." Mustang waved his hand to the men outside the door to take Mark away. The men came in swiftly and took him down the hall.

Roy called in another man with a clipboard. "I need you to inform everyone on the Aldaine case that we have a lead, and we'll be heading in search groups around Amestris before sundown."

"Yes, sir."

Alphonse got up. You noticed that he didn't say a word the whole interview. 

"... (Y/N)? Do you need anything? Here, I'll go get you a glass of water." He left silently, as his footsteps echoed throughout the room.

And then, you started crying.

You couldn't do it before, maybe because of all the pressure, but as soon as Mark left, you were able to let it out. You didn't really have a choice. The tears just flowed out against your will. You hated that, out of all times, your body decided you needed to cry now. No one said anything while you cried.

But suddenly, you felt warm fingers wrap around your hand, and pull it down from your face. Ed held your hand, and looked at you in the eyes.

"It's okay. Don't.. let him get to you. I promise, you'll be okay. I'll protect you."

But despite these words, you just kept crying.

He squeezed your hand. "Don't cry, (Y/N). It'll be okay. We'll get them every last one of them. I won't let them get you, ever. Alphonse and I will always be here to protect you."

It took you a minute, but you finally looked up, wiped your tears with your free hand, and smiled at Ed. "Thank you, Edward. You really didn't have to stand up for me like that. That guy was crazy, wasn't he?"

He nodded. 

Even after Alphonse came back with your water, Ed was still holding your hand. It made you feel a different kind of feeling. A reassurance, that no matter what happened, Ed would always be there.

You wished you could stay frozen in time, in that moment, forever with him.

Just you and him, holding hands, for all eternity. 

You didn't know when he would let go of you, but you didn't mind. You were just happy that he cared so much about you.

It made you smile even more.

You really were in love with this blonde-headed, short tempered, boy.