Chapter 20: Out

Alrighty, everyone, the Puma has granted you all a chapter!!! Enjoy :)

(Warning... angst awaits your hearts.)

Hehe... enjoy!

Good job Hannah! That's exactly right! Emma signed proudly to her student as she solved a math problem.

Okay, everybody, eyes on me, Emma signed to the class. The ones who saw her nudged the others until she had everyone's attention.

Let's all say together, 'it's time for recess.' Ready?

"It's time for recess," the children repeated obediently. 

With Emma's help, the kids in her class, Molly included, were growing more verbal day by day. It made Emma's heart flutter each time any of them spoke to her.

Rewarding sensations would flow through her and pride would swell in her heart.

She let the kids out for recess. Lucky for her she wasn't on duty today and could take this time to grade exams and old packets and worksheets.

With her eyes and focus glued to the papers, she hardly noticed the hands on her shoulders.

She began to panic, her whole body tensing up. She froze, gripping the armrest as flashes of her disturbing past crossed her mind. All until she heard a familiar voice.

"Relax, darling, it's just me," Killian assured her, coming around her desk to face her.

"Hey," Emma said with a weak smile.

"Flashes?" he asked.

"Yeah, how did you...?"

"You're somewhat of an open book, love. Come here, you must be in desperate need of a hug," he said softly, holding out his arms. 

She nodded, walking into his arms and letting him envelop her in his warm touch and love.

With a gentle touch, Killian brushed away a stray tear on Emma's cheek, planting a warm kiss on her forehead.

"Are you alright Swan? You seem vexed," Killian noted, holding her closer to his chest.

"I don't know, I'm not feeling too good and I've got all these tests to grade and forms to fill, events to organize," Emma admitted, letting out her stress.

"Still feeling sick?" he asked. She nodded.

Killian sighed. She hadn't been feeling well the night before and she'd woken up with a pounding headache.

"Must be all that time you spent with Molly," Killian mumbled, his chin resting on her head

"Yeah I guess," she answered. 

With a deep breath, Emma closed her eyes for a moment, relishing in this moment of serenity and peace.

"Okay," Emma breathed, pulling away from Killian. "No matter how sick I feel, I've gotta stay strong for the kids. I've missed enough days of teaching."

"Are you sure you won't come home and rest? You were up almost all night and you're clearly exhausted love."

"I can't miss any more days," Emma insisted, shaking her head. A choice she quickly regretted. She grabbed her head in an attempt to stop the pounding, wobbling on her feet. Killian caught her before she could fall, leading her back to her chair. 

"Emma. Your skin is too pale to be normal, you've got to let yourself rest," Killian insisted worriedly.

"I'm fine," Emma argued. He only sighed, shaking his head at her stubbornness.