Chapter 40: Our Future

Hey guys. This is the last chapter and it's hella short... Don't hate me!! Epilogue comes after this!!

Years later...
Emma's P.O.V:

"Hope! Honey, hurry up! We have to be at school in twenty minutes, we need to go!"

"But mommy, I can't find my plushie!" Hope cries.

"Henry!" I call frantically.

"I got it mom, relax," he laughs, walking into the kitchen with the plushie in hand. "Here, Hope."

"You found her!" Hope exclaims.

"Henry, take your sister to the car, would you?" I ask, stressed. He nods, taking her hand and leading her out the door with her backpack in hand.

"Mum, have you seen my hearing aides? I took them off last night and now I can't find them," Molly asks, rushing over to me as she tugs on her boots.

"Bathroom," I guide her. "Get them and get to the car, quick! We're late! Where is your father?!"

A pair of familiar arms snake around my waist from behind me. Immediately my body relaxes.

"Somebody's stressed," Killian mumbles, kissing my cheek lovingly. "Relax, darling. We'll get there in time. Take a breath," he soothes. I smile, turning in his arms, and take a deep breath.

"Good," he smiles, kissing me softly.

"No PDA please and thanks," Molly groans, rushing past as with her backpack in hand.

"Let's go," Killian laughs, taking my hand and leading me to the car.

"Alright, duckling count, go," I command, starting up the car. The kids count off in order of oldest to youngest, each confirming they have all their things, and then we're off.

I don't know who was looking down on us today, but bless her for keeping the ride relatively argument free.

Passing by the high school, we drop off Henry and Molly. Molly grudgingly gives Killian and I a kiss on the cheek each. She says she's over it since she and Henry and I'm high school this year, but Killian and I both know she'd never miss giving us a hug or kiss before running off to school.

"Bye mom, bye dad!" Henry calls over his shoulder as he rushes to beat the bell.

"Bye Henry!" Hope squeals cutely from her car seat. Oh how she loves her big brother.

Finally, out of breath but alive, we make it to the elementary school where Hope is going. She still has a bit of separation anxiety when it comes to drop off, but she's been getting better. Now, instead if both of us saying goodbye, we alternate. Today is Killian's turn.

We park, and Killian gets out of the car. He unbuckles Hope's car seat and lifts her out of the car.

"Can Mommy come too?" Hope asks sweetly, batting her lashes.

She is absolutely a daddy's girl. There's no doubt about it. She has him wrapped around her little finger.

"Sorry, princess," he says guiltily. "I love you, but you know the rules."

Hope pouts.

"Hope," I scold playfully. "Go with Daddy."

I watch with a smile as Hope skip across the street, her hand in Killian's. He lifts her up, spinning her happily, and presses a kiss to her nose. I can hear her precious giggling as he sets her down.

"I love you, baby!" I call to her with a smile as she runs off with her class.

Killian starts to cross the street to come back to the car when Hope falls over and scrapes her knee. I wince, watching the scene play out.

Killian turns in his spot at the sound of his daughter's cries, his fatherly instincts immediately turned on.

"Hope?" He calls worriedly.

"KILLIAN!!!" I scream, pushing up the car door and running out. "MOVE!!!"

By the time he meets my eyes, trying to understand what's happening, it's too late.

The car hits him.

He's gone.