Relapse

-a few years later-

I remembered the day I escaped the unusual life I was living for many months. Many had asked me where I've gone off to. I moved to Colorado to get away from my old life and start a new one. I'm not alone anymore and I have put all of my attention on Ella. My four year old daughter. Remembering that day so vividly. She was born on December 21st. And was my early Christmas gift. Although I tried running from my past I've been reminded about it everyday because of Ella. Don't get me wrong I love her to death. but she carries characteristics of her father...

Those bright blue eyes I fell in love with all those years ago.

The nose is his. The eyes are mine. The hair is mine. Some days those flashbacks come back as it fills me with the same emotion I felt all those years ago. The feeling of tiredness, exhaustion, pain, love...

I've finished collage early just so I could take care of Ella. So I could go to all of the school events with her. Be able to pick her up everyday from school. I'll work at home so I can spend my free time with her. My whole life revolves around her, and I love it.

Sure I've been trying to find someone who could fill that void Ella would need. A father figure. Nothing ever works out when you already have a kid. You can't put them before your own child. Which makes i difficult. I actually thought about giving Ella up for adoption when she was born. But once she opened up her eyes for the first time I knew that I couldn't just let her go.

It was another day of waiting behind many cars that are waiting to pick up their kids. When I get at the front of the like I'm greeted by the workers who handle the kids.
"She was great today," the lady says helping Ella into the back seat.

"Great! See you tomorrow," I say waving and driving out of the busy school.
"How was school?" I ask looking at the rear view mirror looking at Ella who is staring out the window.
"It was fun. Tomorrow it's a class party!" She says excitedly.
Class party. Shit. I still need to buy something for her class. I ask all of those questions you would ask your child everyday after school until we reach the grocery store. I carry Ella in my arms until I'm able to place her into the cart that has a seat in it. While she looks down at my phone plays games I push the cart around the large store. Looking at all of the different things I could possibly need. I walk alway from the cart for a few moments while I walk down the aisle. Scanning through every drop.

"I'm Ella," I hear Ella laugh behind me. I turn around to see a man handing Ella my phone that had dropped on the ground. I quickly rush over to the cart terrified about her getting hurt.
"Sorry about that," I say putting my hands on the handles of the cart. I look up at the man to see a very familiar face. Like nothing has changed face still the same. Same blue eyes.

It was Dennis. Or at least one of the personalities. I gasp as I realize who it is. I quickly pick Ella out of the cart and into my arms.
"I'm sorry. I have to go," I say before quickly walking off with a clueless Ella in my arms.
"Why are we leaving?" She asks holding onto me. Adrenaline ran through my body. I didn't know how to react. I couldn't say anything nor think in that moment. Until I got to the safety of my car. I sat in the seat for a few minutes before I started the car up. I look back at Ella who has put her attention back on the phone. Gathering my thoughts I drive away from the store.

Memories flash back into my mind as I've tried keeping them at bay all this time. I felt so paranoid that I just had to go straight home and make sure no one was following me. Now in the safety of my home I was able to take my attention off of Ella and go back to my thoughts.

How did he find me? How is this even possible? I've been running from my problems my whole life that I don't know what to do when one of my insecurities resurface.
What do I say to him if I encounter him again. I mean he doesn't know about Ella being his child.
"Can you help me?" Ella asks behind me. I turn around clearing the thoughts from my head and putting a smile on my face. She holds out a homework paper.