I Had No Idea (22)

Adele's POV

The police officer engaged the engine of the car and at that moment they didn't waist time setting off. I grabbed Jess' arm and yelled "Go find her," at the police.  As the reality of what was really had happened began to sink in, I got hysterical, unable to stop sobbing even more than before. I felt sick to my stomach, as if I were going to faint.

The car myself and Jess were in split up from the other one with Simon in, I guess it gave us a greater chance of possibly finding Maisie. Eventually more police cars were called in for support, for the sake of my mental health in terms of knowing my child is missing and also for my mental health, as well as the rest of my families if this gets out to the media. Which in all fairness, with what seamed like a never ending career on my behalf was an exceedingly likely concept to become a reality. In a way, I wish it went out in the media and maybe we would find her quicker, on the other hand, if it got out to the media I would never forgive myself that I let that was how I found my child. That would be never be forgotten in this day and age. It would also allow someone with no morals profit off such tragedy that hit my family.

Continuous and constant stops were made to ensure a intense and thorough search of the area: the villages, the countryside, the main town, the closest city. It was exceptionally plausible to say that, she could be anywhere by now.

And I mean anywhere.

As much as I didn't want to stop demanding for answers and attempting to find my daughter because it is our job as human beings to do just that, the officers greatly insisted we stopped for a short break. The purpose of this was to mainly focus on communicating with the police investigating the house for evidence like checking the CCTV. However, despite the excessive number of cameras that manned the house, all those that cover the path from that door and of the property were down; the camera's in the areas we needed, had no footage of those few minutes that she was taken. Less and less added up to me as time went on, with that said: the timing, the camera's and the complete lack evidence left at the scene; it definitely showed to all of us that the kidnapping of my daughter was planned. An officer told me that it appeared too well thought out and well executed to have been a spontaneous action. If I must announce, this was obviously not news that any of us wanted us to hear.

In my head all I could think was that, if it was planned, it could have been prevented.

Before we headed off again Simon continuously told me that it was  ridiculous to think that because things like this are incredibly hard to track, especially if no form of technology is used.

Over the next several hours, I alternated between feeling completely numb and totally terrified. I kept thinking how scared and lonely my daughter must feel. And I worried about the dangers she faced. Who ever took her must have know that she was my child. What did they want with her?

Time passed like an eternity.  I'd always heard that if you don't find an abducted child within the first 24 hours, odds are you won't find them alive. I stared out of the car window, not paying attention to the surroundings. Every now and then the officers offered us something to eat or drink because it had passed dinner time and neither of us had eaten but we both felt sick so we turned everything down. I only lived for news of my child at this point.

Our efforts were interrupted by someone talking over the radio telling the officers to return to the station because it was getting late.

One of the officers started explaining that, they've "never had a case like this where no evidence at all is left therefore?" they "wanted to say that the chances of finding her are extremely low but," they "would keep trying to find her and alert the whole police board of the country and the airports to improve the chances of finding Maisie". This was of course going to be a difficult concept to grasp. Exhausted by fear, tension and anxiety, we did not know what to believe, I felt sick as I realized that time was closing in on our chances of finding Maisie alive. I was fixated on the 24-hour statistic. Although my husband remained optimistic throughout, pleading with me to stay positive, I sank into hopelessness. We hadn't even gotten home and I was convinced by something in my mind, Maisie wasn't coming back. I kept blaming myself, going over and over about what had happened, wondering why I was ever so impatient and let this happen.

An clear-cut silence filled the car, defeated souls just floated around like dead bodies. We were were all feeling comprehensively hopeless. It had just passed midnight, as each one of use piled our somewhat lifeless bodies from the shell of the car, we were told that we needed to get some rest if so that we would be able to have another day of searching for Maisie tomorrow. We all knew that the likelihood that any of us would actually sleep was zero to none; it just wasn't going to happen. Forlorn air lingered in the entire house, Jess and Simon might as well have collapsed into the sofa because of how worn out they were (they were still not going to sleep), they just remained there not moving a single muscle in their bodies. A woebegone expression plastered over their faces. I couldn't blame them, my face wasn't much different. I staggered into the kitchen and reached for the wine rack and viciously grabbed a bottle of red and opened it, before I completely chugged the lot. An unsurprisingly short amount of time passed before a second bottle was uncorked and in my hand; I stood there for a while just fixating my eyes on the dark shadows of the trees swaying in the gentle breeze, every so often taking a mouthful of my drink.

At the point my bottle was half full I wanted to go check on Jess and Simon; I then moved my emotionless mass in the direction of the lounge. A path I had taken many times, in the same drunken state. Both of them still rested there, eyes wide open just staring blankly at the ceiling. Joining them I plonked myself down beside Simon and it didn't take long before his warm arm of security had snakes around my waist, I then rested my tired neck on his shoulder. Periodically, I lifted my head up so, I could continue taking swings of my drink. 

Breaking the silence, Jess' phone went off, it seamed more obnoxious than usual. Of course she checked it as fast as she could, none of us could have prepared ourselves for what she had received and who it was from.

*Cameron*

Jess, I'm really sorry to bother you but is Maisie supposed to be on the train to Oxford with Alan?

Desperate as I was, I didn't dare hope that it was him with Maisie.