Chapter 8 - The Joust

Hello readers!
Another  chapter that features some explicit language and racy scenes!

Fair warning, enjoy!

I'm jolted awake by Florence bustling in and setting the fire, it must be early still as the sun is just making an appearance and lighting up the room.

It's been a couple of days since the incident with Maxwell and Alice and I'm just as confused now as I was then.

He's been avoiding me at every meal and making sure not to make eye contact.

Looks as though he's been told what for by his future wife.
Florence says they're not engaged but they must be, going by her reaction to my being in his room.

This is bad. I'm lost in another time, with an incredibly confusing and incredibly hot man giving me mixed signals, who may or may not be engaged to an evil bitch with aspirations of becoming a Countess.

I feel drawn to him but I'm so scared of what's happening to me...my head is really messed up with it all.

"Morning Miss" she sings merrily.

It's beyond freezing in here and I refuse to move until the fire has warmed the room through; I enjoy a stretch and settle in to watch Florence as she flits about the room cleaning and adjusting here and there.

"Morning Florence" I mutter sleepily and stretch, god that feels good.

"Shall I fetch you some bath water now Miss?"

"A bath?! Oh yes, thank you Florence that would be heaven! And it's Cassie!" My eyes follow hers across the room and land on the big brass bathtub in the corner.

"Of course...Cassie" and she smiles at me and leaves the room.

I'm desperate for the toilet so I climb out of bed and search around the room to find the chamber pot I've been using –I'm still not used to peeing in a bowl.

I fish it out from under the bed and squat over it desperate for some relief – in for a penny in for a pound as they say.
I finish up and think about where I can get rid of it or rinse it out, just when I'm contemplating the window Florence walks back in carrying two heavy pales of steaming hot water.

"Oh Miss! Don't worry about the chamber pot, I'll empty it presently. You get back into bed and keep warm whilst I fill the tub for you."

"Don't be so silly! I can help fill the bath – it's the least I can do."
Florence looks at me dumbfounded as though I have just spoken in tongues; she looks uncomfortable and then it hits me.

She's a servant; this is what she's supposed to do. My offering to help has probably put her in a difficult position and with that in mind I trot back to the bed.

"On second thoughts Florence, please empty the pot and return with my bath water." I say with as much authority as I can muster hoping it will put her at ease. She breathes a sigh of relief and her smile returns.

It makes me feel like an insufferable snob but I guess Florence doesn't know any different and it makes her feel better.

I watch as she lugs the water across the room and pours it into the tub - she repeats this several times and eventually it's full to the brim and she leaves me to it.

I strip off my nighty and step into the steaming water; it feels amazing and I sink right down in utter contentment.
I always loved a scorching hot bath – a few nice smelling candles wouldn't go a miss but I'll have to take what I can get.