Prison

I keep my head down as we enter the hall and walk towards the chair where I know Alice will be waiting for me.
A crowd of people form ranks down the sides of the hall and I feel like I'm walking into a trap that I can't escape from.

The guard stops as we reach Alice and bows announcing my arrival, I follow his lead and curtsey trying to hide my fear and loathing of her. Maybe if I can keep my cool I can get out of this alive and somehow find my way home back to the present.

I hate to admit that she intimidates me in this moment, she is my judge, jury and executioner and I swallow down my anxiety trying to appear relaxed.

"So...Lady Cassandra, if that is your real name." she starts and I respond just as tartly.

"I assure you, my name is Cassandra, My Lady."

"But maybe not so much of a lady, as you would have us believe" she says and gestures around the room at the crowd.

I immediately remember why I don't like her and have to keep my temper under control.

"Look, I don't..."

"You dare to speak freely to me! Keep your treacherous mouth shut if you wish to live!"
she shouts and one of the guards coughs in discomfort.

I chance a look at him and notice it's the guard that warned me in the cells, he is staring at me pleadingly and I know that he's basically telling me to shut up.

I close my mouth and lower my eyes to the ground trying to appear as though I'm submitting to Alice's will, it seems to appease her and her wild eyes become still once again.
She sits back into the chair and relaxes, clearly enjoying herself thoroughly at my present situation and the power she holds over me.

"Do you admit to your treason?"

I lift my gaze to find her grinning at me like a Cheshire cat; I pause, not clear whether it's wise to reply to her question or not.
"Well?! Answer me!"

"No...I do not." I say in defiance, looking her right in the eye and clenching my fists.

"So how do you explain this?" and she pulls the letter out of her dress.

"I can't. I don't know what it is, or where it came from."

"Lies...all lies. How do you expect me to believe you when you are clearly a thief?" she laughs.

"A thief? I'm not a thief! I have no idea what you're talking about. Look...all of this is one huge misunderstanding."

"I think not Cassandra. The shawl you are wearing is the very shawl I reported missing from my possession this morning."

Shit.

At her comment my stomach drops into the floor; how can I explain anything without sounding like a crazy person.
Oh Sorry Alice, I borrowed this to escape into the forest and try to find a way home after travelling back in time a few hundred years!

Somehow I don't think that would go down very well. I have to think on my feet and come up with a reasonable explanation.

"I only borrowed it from the stores to take a short walk, I had no idea it was owned by someone. I was bringing it back when I was thrown into the cells."

"It doesn't matter! I will hear no more of your lies. You are a spy and a Welsh sympathiser and I will not allow you to pass on important information to our enemies."

"What! Look, I don't even know what's written in that letter. Somebody put it into my basket before I left the castle..."

"Enough! I have made my decision." Her temper has brought her accent out and I can tell that whatever she is about to say can't be good, she's not the forgiving sort.