Chapter 25

It's been over two months since Max left and I haven't heard a thing.
I've barely been able to concentrate on anything else and I spend every spare moment I get up on the battlements, staring out into the green fields hoping to see some sign of him returning...but so far nothing.

It's not as if he can send me a text or email, but hell I'd even settle for a bloody letter to tell me where he is and how he's doing right now. But nothing...why hasn't he written to me to at least let me know he's safe?

I fill my days with the everyday running of the castle, so far nothing too difficult thankfully.

The cook, Mrs. Briarly a cantankerous old bat, has begrudgingly allowed me to decide the menu choices for general meals in the hall and I have been spending a lot of time in the herb garden brushing up on my basic knowledge.

I did insist on setting up basic hygiene in the kitchens though, that is after all in the best interest of everyone in the castle.

I've been managing to keep all the records up to date in Max's absence – things such as levels of grain in the stores, pigs and sheep being slaughtered and the birth of the new foal amongst other things.

It's starting to get darker in the evenings earlier now and autumn is making herself felt with the blustery weather. I have to wear at least two layers to bed just to keep warm at night under the blankets without Max to warm me through.
I think that's when I feel his absence the most; that time at night when I'm alone in our room, in our bed and the castle is silent around me, swallowing me whole.

It's a chilly Wednesday morning in October and I'm sat inside my favourite room - a small lounge with an amazing view over the surrounding fields, next to the fire trying to get warm when one of the servants knocks and enters.

"Mistress, this letter just arrived for you." And he passes me the letter, bowing before leaving. I tear it open hoping desperately that it's news from Max telling me when he'll be home but its correspondence from one of Max's family friends asking if he can come and visit whilst in the area some time before Christmas.

The disappointment hits me hard and fast and I slouch back into the chair, my heart still beating wildly in my chest from the initial hope of word from Max.

The worry I feel for him on a daily basis is crippling, what if something's happened and he hasn't been able to send word? What if he's lying dead somewhere? God, I'm not even going to allow myself to think along those lines, so I muster the will to walk to the study with the intention of replying to the letter.

I write back to man telling him that Max is away but I am the Countess and he is more than welcome to come and stay with us whilst visiting the area.
I'm actually happy to meet someone who knew Max's parents, it somehow feels like if I can impress him somehow then Max's parents would have approved of me too.

I sign and seal the letter with Max's insignia, leaving it in a pile of outgoing post for tomorrow morning.

So many times now I've nearly opened the locked box that Max left with me for safekeeping. What could he possibly have needed to keep with me at the castle? I'm itching to open it and read it but it would break the seal and he would know that I've been nosy...I can't bring myself to do it, however curious I am.

I decide the finish the afternoon with a walk along the riverbank and to take Florence with me.
I want to talk to her about Alex and the conversation I overheard accidently. It seems so wrong that she's denying herself happiness based on a stupid notion of propriety. No one questions it when I ask to borrow her from the kitchens and she's glad of the break from her chores. We stroll beside the water, listening to it flow through the reeds and walk towards my favourite spot by a small footbridge in the fields.