Chapter 29

After breakfast I excuse myself and leave Max in the great hall catching up with all the men and the happenings of the castle in his absence.

I walk to the study intending to finish the letters from yesterday, left undone in my haste to get to Max, and sit down behind the desk.

I relax into the correspondence and feel a sense of pride at how I've coped with everything in Max's absence, I've actually really enjoyed the responsibility and I hope that everyone approves of me and how hard I've tried to look after them.

Smiling to myself I finish up the letters and begin to move onto the castle ledgers when there's a timid knock at the door.

"Come in" I say loudly enough to be heard through the heavy Oak. I stand to see who it is and Francis pops his head inside tentatively.

"Francis! Please come in, sit down. You'll have heard the wonderful news of Max's return? I expect you are eager to see him and catch up?"

I feel guilty that I'd completely forgotten about him, he's our guest and Max's family friend but I guess my absence is understandable in the circumstances.

He's stony silent and his face doesn't reflect my happiness, I pause as I realise that something is wrong.

"Francis? What's the matter? Are you unwell? Can I get you anything?" his face lights up at my concern as I walk round the desk to stand in front of him.

The door opens and Max comes strolling in laughing to himself, presumably about his last conversation with the guards.

He stops abruptly when he realises that I'm in here with another man.

He looks from me, to Francis, and back again before continuing into the room, resuming his casual demeanor and peering at Francis in curiosity.

"I don't believe we've met?" he says, looking at Francis through narrowed eyes.

"Max, it's Francis! I'm sorry I completely forgot to tell you he was here, but this must be a lovely surprise for you" I squeal in delight thinking how great it must be to come home to such an old friend.

Neither man says anything; Max's face turns to puzzlement as he stares at Francis.

"Max, surely you remember Francis? Lord Francis Walter? Your old family friend, he used to come here when you were young" I look from Francis to Maxwell with a laugh frozen on my face, fully expecting them to burst into a happy reunion at any moment, how could he not remember? He must have been really young when Francis visited.

Stony silence follows my excited outburst.

What am I missing? Max shoots a look at me but it's too quick for me to get the gist of it and then his eyes fly back to Francis.

"This man is not Lord Francis Walter, Cassie" he says, his gaze never leaving Francis.

"What?" I say confused "What do you mean?" and I look uneasily at Francis who darts a look at me before returning a panicked glare back at Max.

"Cassie..." Max says in a restrained tone taking a careful step toward me but not looking away from Francis. He looks like he's facing a wild beast about to attack and treading carefully so not to provoke it.

Before I can read the situation Francis grabs me, shifting me in front of him and digging a sharp knife into my throat, rendering me speechless.

"Don't take another fucking step or I kill her!" he shouts at Max making him freeze on the spot. Max holds up his hands, attempting to placate him.

"Stop...look...alright I'm not moving."

"Francis! What are you doing?!" I scream as the shock of the situation I'm in hits me full force and he digs the knife in painfully making me squeak in discomfort.