Chapter 11

The following morning I wake up early in reaction to the emerging sunrise, the ground is covered in a mist that makes the countryside and surrounding hills appear quite sinister.

The trees that yesterday were my sanctuary are today my prison.
I thank my lucky stars that I'm still here and in one piece.

I'm pulled from my reverie by the girl, who's fetched my basket of food and milk. We share a small breakfast of Bread, cheese and some rabbit meat that they had caught that morning with a makeshift trap.

"Here" says the old man passing me a sewed together animal skin of some sort, fashioned into a water holder.

I gratefully accept it and take a big swig not realising how thirsty I am, the water running down my chin where I'm not used to the mechanics of the mouthpiece.

"Thank you." I say politely dragging my sleeve over my chin to dry myself.

The cold light of day has made last night feel almost like a dream – or should I say nightmare. I shiver and look over automatically to the spot where the man's body that I killed last night should be, but he's gone.

"I moved him" says the old man, making me jump. "I thought it was best under the circumstances" he muses, and his gaze wonders from me to his family, and back to me again.

"Right, yes." I say calmly surprising myself – since when did I become a cold blooded killer? Since I got hurtled back into time and was attacked by a very sick son of a bitch, I think to myself.

"Have you got somewhere to stay Cassandra? We're making our way back home towards Chichester if you require lodgings?"

"Chichester?" I say thinking of my home city with an instant longing to return there, but I know full well that it won't be the wonderful city that I know and love.

I can't explain it but I have a deep gut feeling that I'm not supposed to leave the castle.

Something is telling me that this place will be my only way back to the 21st century.

"I have somewhere to go, but thank you for your kindness." I smile genuinely.

"I wouldn't feel right about leaving you alone in the forest after last night. At least let us walk with you to your destination. Where is it you're going?"

I realise that I've already made my decision. I turn and point toward the castle.

"That's where I'm going".

-----------------------

I teach the boy how to play eye spy and we spend the entire journey playing and laughing as he teases me about losing; I can feel my heart becoming lighter and my ominous mood lifting slightly.

I tentatively raise my hand to my face to assess the damage from last night; my eye is swollen and puffy – I would wager I've got a black eye but this family have all been too polite to say anything.

My ear stings and there is dried crusted blood on my cheek but I'll have a long bath when I get back to my room and wash away any traces of that man.

We reach the pathway to the main gate and the family wishes me all the best for the future, thanking me again for all of my help the night before.

"If you ever come our way, do make sure to stop by Cassandra" says the old man. "It would be our pleasure to host you. Just ask for Arthur Ashdown. I'm the local blacksmith –you can't miss my workshop" he smiles at me fondly.

"Thank you, I will." I say making a mental note of his name and wave them off clutching Florence's basket in my arms.

I make my way toward the castle without really thinking of the consequences. When they ask me why I'm still here I will just have to make something up – all I can think about right now is having a scalding bath. I must look a state.