Chapter 30

It's so hot in here.

A trickle of sweat drips down my forehead and tickles into my ear as it falls to the pillow below me.
I try to throw the covers off but my limbs feel so heavy that I give up and rest back into the mattress, trying to figure out why I feel so lousy.

I can hear a mumbled conversation nearby and turn my head in the direction of the noise, causing the room to go silent, maybe I misheard it.

My brow creases in confusion as I try to make sense of everything; I attempt to open my heavy eyelids, only to find it impossible, my frustration escaping me in a soft sigh.

"She will be alright. Her wound is healing well"

"Then why has she not woken?"

"She's resting. Her body's exhausted from everything. She needs time"

Someone huffs and I hear footsteps moving around me.
I recognise the deep voices but I can't place them, my thoughts and memories seem out of reach and oddly detached from me. It's like I'm looking into a pool of my memories but somebody has thrown a stone in, creating a ripple and distorting everything.

"This is my doing"

"No, Max. You cannot blame yourself"

"No? Then who is to blame for my wife being in this state?"

Max? Wife? What are these men talking about?

My breathing hitches as I try desperately to remember something that seems to be so elusive. I feel like I should know these people. My minds shifts to my parents and I wonder where they are...If I'm in hospital shouldn't they be here?

"Not you. That much is certain my friend."

"She should never have been left alone. I should have stayed, I should have been here to protect her"

"Max there was no way you could have stayed. Defying the Kings summons is punishable by death, as you well know"

"Death is preferable to this! Seeing her hurt and in pain it's...it's more than I can bear"

"Sacrificing yourself, whilst noble, would have been stupid brother, and then where would Cassie be?"

"She would be alive and well! She would have gone on living... She would have had you to take care of her in my absence"

"She doesn't need me Max...she need's you. You owe it to her to stay alive, so stop this madness and cease torturing yourself.
She will awaken, and when she does she'll need you to be strong for her"

My confusion reaches epic proportions as the conversation happening right in front of me unfolds; I know these people.
I recognise them but who are they?

I hear someone else come in and shuffle around the room. A cool cloth is draped over my forehead, giving me instant relief from the heat, and someone squeezes my hand softly.

"I should journey to London now and kill her myself!" rages the more familiar voice.

"Calm yourself, there are ladies present"

The hand holding mine stiffens momentarily and then continues its soft ministrations.

"How is she?"

"She is well my Lord." whispers a familiar female voice directly next to me. "I'm positive she will awaken soon."

"Is there anything I can do?" I can hear a familiar wrench of emotion coming out of his mouth. A mouth I know so well.

"Your presence will be a comfort to her when she wakes."

"Thank you Florence"

There's more shuffling and the door opens and closes. I think I'm finally alone when a pressure on the bed next to me alerts me to his presence.