Chapter 12

I've been awake for what feels like hours,  worrying about what might happen to me, when an armoured guard marches into the cells and gestures for me to get up and follow him.

I'm surprised that he doesn't manhandle me as much as the last one and I walk after him slowly, wondering where and what he's leading me to.

I massage my numb arms absentmindedly as we leave the cells, trying to get my circulation going.
I hug myself silently trying to reassure my fractured nerves and get rid of the the sense of dread rising inside me.

"Where are you taking me?" I ask the guard quietly, hoping that my meek words will hide my fear.

He pauses and turns to me gently "I've been told to bring you to Lady Alice, My Lady" and he bows his head reverently.

He must see the confusion plainly on my face, as he continues. "You must understand my Lady that his Lordship is currently away on business..."

"Yes I know, the other guard told me." I say not really understanding what he's getting at. What difference does it make? He has a look of almost pity on his face.

"Lady Alice will preside over your sentencing my Lady. That is to say, she is the one who will decide your fate this day."

"What! What do you mean decide my fate!What's she going to do?"

"She cannot order your death, but by the time she has finished with you...well you may wish that she could."

"But I haven't done anything! I have no idea what that letter said or how it got into my basket! Please you have to help me!"

He looks around and pulls me to one side.

"Hush, someone will hear you..." he sighs and looks imploringly at me. "Listen to me, you must remember to remain calm and only speak when spoken to. If you raise your voice or question her, it will only anger her and make your punishment worse. I've seen it with my own eyes. She has no compassion or mercy for others, and she will want to make an example of you...however wrong she may be." and he smiles at me as tears fill my eyes.

"But....I haven't done anything! You have to believe me!" I cry as tears flow freely down my cheeks.

"I do my Lady. I know how highly his Lordship thinks of you and I trust his judgment wholeheartedly."

"His Lordship?" I'm dumbfounded. What is he talking about? Has Maxwell told him about me? About our previous conversations? "But that doesn't make any sense...he told you about me?"

"It matters not. You have certainly made a lasting impression on him and he would not approve of your treatment here. We must hurry now; Lady Alice is not a patient woman."

He begins to walk away but turns abruptly "Remember what I have said My Lady. You must tread very carefully if you are to survive the day unharmed."

I nod and wipe away my tears on my sleeve. I need to compose myself if I am going to make it through this.

I follow the man from the cells and spend the short walk up into the castle getting my breathing under control and trying desperately to mentally prepare myself for what's ahead.

I'll be damned if I let this Alice bitch decide my fate.