Chapter 16

I open my eyes tentatively, taking in my surroundings but I don't recognise where I am. I try to sit up causing a white hot flash of pain to cascade down my back making me squeal in shock. Maxwell appears at my side in a heartbeat and grasps my hand, stroking my forehead.

"Cassie! Thank god, you're awake. How are you feeling? Are you in much pain?"

"Maxwell? What...where am I?"

"In my chambers. I brought you up here as soon as I arrived home from London... God Cassie, I'm so sorry, this is all my fault. I should never have left you alone with Alice. If I had just kept my feelings to myself I could have avoided all of this."

He goes quiet and reaches for my face as I stare at him in disbelief. His eyes looked pained and his eyebrows are raised in concern as his hands reach for me and tenderly cup my face.
My breath is stolen from my lungs at the contact and I freeze in shock. His thumb traces my swollen eye and I hiss and recoil back at the pain.

"Wait, why am I in your bedroom?" I say thoroughly confused, leaning up onto my elbows.

"Alice...well Alice had you flogged and put into the stocks whilst I was away on business with the King."

"Tell me something I don't know" I mutter in sarcasm trying to get comfortable but I grimace as the movement stretches my skin.

"Cassie, listen to me. I will never let Alice touch you again. I sent her home to Spain the moment I returned and she's never coming back. You're safe now, I will protect you."

"Have I missed something? Last time we spoke you were shutting a door in my face"

"I know and Gods Cassie... I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I thought I was protecting you from her but it seems that I just made things worse. But that won't happen again, I Promise you. From now on, you will have my name as protection"

"Wait, what? Your name? What do you mean?"

The long sleep I've had must be messing with my brain. My face scrunches up in confusion and I attempt to sit up in bed.
Max reaches to help and holds my arm lightly before sitting on the bed beside me.

"Yes...just hear me out. I know that this is going to sound ridiculous but you have to trust me."

"Maxwell, you're worrying me. What are you getting at?"

"Marry me, Cassie"

I almost choke on my shock.

"What?! Are you fucking Crazy! I can't marry you! We barely know each other! We've only kissed twice; you've spent most of your time knowing me, completely ignoring me! What exactly about that whole description screams marriage at you?"

"I know. I sound unhinged, but it makes sense. Whilst you've been resting I've had a lot of time to think about things. This is the only way to ensure your protection."

"Ensure my protection? From what!"

"Alice, of Course; she wields a lot of power throughout England with her father's connections and it won't be long before she sends someone to harm you or worse. Only marrying me and having my name can protect you from her. Killing a Countess has repercussions that even she cannot hide from."

"Maxwell, this is insane. I need to go home; I can't marry you and stay here. I don't belong here...How do you even know that Alice would do anything more than she already has?"

I wince in memory of her punishment.
He pauses, unsure of how to continue.

"It matters not how I know, I just do. Please Cassie, I already feel responsible for all of this. I just want to protect you and make it up to you."