Chapter 27

This morning I decide that I'm going to have a better day, and I start with a walk in the grounds surrounding the castle.
I go alone, preferring my own company for a little while longer. I sit by the stream picking daisies and making a chain like I used to when I was little girl and it calms me. I've managed to slip my guards for a short time, but it won't be long before they notice I'm gone and panic so I decide to get back.

I take a slow walk back and make my way up the study to continue some correspondence on behalf of Max. I had no idea marrying him would come with so much paperwork!

I rifle through the letters and notice a couple that look fairly important, so I dish them out and set the quill and ink to the side.

Just as I'm wetting the quill I hear rushed footsteps coming towards the room as a guard bursts in yelling.

"My lady! A company of horses is on the horizon! They're bearing his Lordship's banner"

"My God! Max!" and I race past the guard running down the corridor as fast as my feet will take me. I absentmindedly note that the guard is running after me and we both stumble out into the light from the corridor, after sprinting down the stairs.

My breath is coming in short pants from the exertion and I look around in all directions up at the battlements to see if I can tell which direction he's coming from by the guards shouting. He's coming from the East I think and run down the steps before bumping straight into Florence at full force, almost knocking us both over.

"Florence, He's back! It's Max!"

"I know! We heard all the shouting" and she hugs me tightly. I turn to run out of the gates but Florence grabs my arm.

"No Cassie, it's tradition for the Lady of the house to wait here with the entire workforce to welcome his Lordship home"

"Really? But I can't wait Florence"

"He won't reach the gates for a while yet Cassie. It'll be a long wait."

"Oh ok." I say and we turn back towards the main castle's heavy oak entrance doors. We stand there for what feels like an age, the courtyard filling with people all keen to catch a glimpse of the returning forces.

I can tell that everyone is worried that some of them won't be there, I have the exact worry and my heart picks up even more than before.

I'm restless and tapping my foot with impatience when I finally hear the galloping hooves of horses and all eyes are upon the gate in anticipation.

You could hear a pin drop inside the courtyard and everyone takes a collective breath as the first horse gallops through the gates, followed by the rest.

All the horsemen have their armour on and it makes it all the more difficult to tell who is who. All over the courtyard men are climbing from their horses to hugs, kisses and loud chatter.

I look around straining to find Max, my eyes flitting from one man to another trying to see him when all of a sudden a loud cheer reverberates around the grounds and I look towards the gate to see one lone horsemen come trotting in. Florence squeezes my hand as we both wait with baited breath to see who this is.

He slowly removes his helmet and I gasp at the sight of Alexander, feeling sick to the stomach that Max isn't with him.
Where is he?

Florence looks at me with worry before returning her eyes to Alexander. He dismounts his horse amid shouts of happiness and laughter but he looks lost.

He's looking for someone and I hope to god it's not me. He sees us standing on the castle steps and begins to make his way towards us slowly, my heart thuds with anxiety at what he's going to say when he reaches us.

Florence squeezes my arm in support but I can't look at her, all I see is Alex approaching us with a grim look on his face.

Before I know it he's standing before us, but he's not looking at me.

He's staring at Florence with a hunger that I recognise, as it's how I feel about Max. But why isn't he saying anything?

"Alex?" Florence whispers uncertainly.

He charges forward and collides with Florence harshly, knocking her off her balance but his hands surround and steady her as they fall against the nearby wall.
His lips cover hers in a searing kiss that even I feel as I stand watching them from nearby.

My throat threatens to close and I feel my eyes begin to tear up as I see this outpouring of love and wonder where in the hell Max is.

I wrench my sight away from them just as another horseman comes trotting into the castle courtyard and my beaten heart beats erratically in my ribcage as I wait to see who this man is.

He veers away from the crowd and I watch him patting his horses neck, hoping to recognise his movement or body shape but his armour blocks my view.

He seems to take an eternity to remove his helmet but when he does my breath is snatched out of my lungs as my eyes land on my husband.

He's back.
----------------------------

I'm rooted to the spot as everyone yells and shouts in pleasure at his late appearance.
The sight of him renders me speechless and I watch as he dismounts his horse and makes his way through the crowd looking for me.

He's getting pats on the back and jostled by the castle guards obviously pleased that he's back but he merely smiles and keeps moving.

I can see him mouthing "Where's my wife?" but no one cares about me in their excitement so his question goes ignored.

His eyes scan the crowd as mine did and when they land on me he stops still as if shocked. We both stare at each other in appreciation and love, and tears pool in my eyes, my lip wobbling with emotion.

The spell keeping me rooted to the spot is broken and I run to him, weaving through the crowd as he moves towards me.
I reach him and throw myself into his waiting arms as he lifts me off the ground holding me close. I close my eyes as tears fall unbidden and squeeze him as though I might lose him if I let go now.

He holds me so tightly it almost hurts to breathe, but I don't care. I have him in my arms and I am never letting go.

He lowers me down and pulls away to look me in the eye, he doesn't say anything, but then he doesn't have to; I already know what he's feeling.

He grasps my face and kisses me hard, putting all of his wants and desires into it, letting me know that he's thought of me and missed me as much as I have him.

I pull away but don't release him; my arms fly around his neck and I gaze into his eyes with tears in mine. "Where the bloody hell have you been?" I say laughing through the tears and he kisses me again.

"My Lord, Welcome home! There is much to discuss upon your return" says one of the more senior guards interrupting our kiss. Max pulls away and smiles at him.

"I'm sure there is Thomas, but as you can see I'm rather busy getting reacquainted with my wife. We shall discuss everything on the morrow over Breakfast"

"As you wish my lord" he says bowing with a knowing smirk on his face.

Max issues instructions for a celebration in the great hall that night to honour the forces return and we retreat upstairs to be alone at last.