Maxwell POV

Its late evening and pitch black when I call for a break to water the horses; I've been pushing the men hard in an effort to reach Arundel earlier than expected.

I've not been able to stop thinking about Cassie and how I left things with her.

I have to find her.

She must have left the castle during the night because of my behaviour; Because I wasn't strong enough to deny my own selfish feelings for her, Alice must have got to her and threatened her.
It could be any number of reasons – all I know is that I feel responsible. Now I have to find her and make sure that she's alright.

I want to at least have the chance to explain myself and why I can't pursue her, as much as I want to.

I would happily give everything I have for a chance at a happy ending with her, but it's not as simple as that.

I have an entire county of families counting on me and my ability to lead them.
What would happen to them if I left?

The King would give the Castle to another Earl and in all likelihood marry him off to Alice – then the people in the castle and its surrounding lands would have no protection from her.

No, that's not an option.

Alexander sidles up to me and nudges me lightly in the ribs. "Come on then" he says cryptically.

"What?"

"Tell me what it is that's got you so preoccupied. If it's Alice, you do know she's going to be gone for months as soon as we arrive home. You get a respite from her" and he chuckles to himself.

"It's not that."

"Mmm, if it's not Alice then it must be something equally troubling. Let's see...Could you have eaten some rotten food, and are now suffering from excruciating gut spasms?" and with that we both double over laughing.

He always knows how to bring a smile to my face.
We both catch our breath and he gestures for me to follow him as he leads our horses away from the men briefly. "It's Lady Cassandra isn't it?" he muses.

"What! How could you know that?"

"I'd have to be blind not to notice the way you watch her, my friend" and he pats me on the back reassuringly.

"I kissed her, Alex."

"What! When? You dog!"

"It's not like that. I respect her...I..." I pause not really knowing how to say the next part "I have feelings for her."

In all the years I've known Alex he has never been speechless, so I continue.

"I kissed her and then tried to push her away because of Alice. She confronted me and I just couldn't stop myself; I admitted my feelings for her."

Alex's face is still in shock as he take's everything in that I'm saying, trying to piece it all together. "We were in my chamber when Alice happened upon us" and a look of horror dawns on his face as he finally realises the reason behind my worry.

"Fuck" is all he says.

"Yes Fuck. Now Alice is on the warpath and Cassie is missing from the castle. I found out yesterday morning before the Kings summons arrived so I had no time to take any action, but I fear for her safety."

"Then there's no time to waste Max. We must leave now!"

"Agreed. Get the men prepared for imminent departure. I'll ride ahead."

------------------------

It's close to midnight when I spot the flaming lights of the castle in the distance and my heart kicks into overdrive at the thought of seeing Cassie again.

Maybe it was all some misunderstanding and she is back safely within the castle walls avoiding Alice.

The men caught up with me about a mile back and we now race toward the safe haven of home.

As we get closer and closer I start to get an unwelcome feeling of dread in my gut, I can't explain it and I begin to feel sick with anticipation of what awaits me upon my arrival.

I reach the gates and dismount my horse speedily as a stable boy runs out to greet me.

"My Lord! Thank god you're back! It's Lady Cassandra...

"What! What is it Boy?" I shout at him in panic.

"She's in the stocks My Lord, Lady Alice..."

I don't even hear the last words he shouts through the wind and rain; I take off at full speed dropping everything in my hands.

All I can think about is getting to Cassie and making sure she's alive and well. What the fuck is she doing in the stocks?

The wooden stocks come into view and I recoil at the sight of a tiny hunched over figure with a back displaying wounds that match that of a flogging.

This can't be her.

Where is she?

I can hear whoever this is sobbing pathetically and walk around to the front of the stocks fully expecting to see someone I don't recognise.

But I nearly drop to my knees when I get a good look at her. It's Cassie.
Her face is swollen and black from some sort of beating, her back is dripping blood from open wounds and she is visibly shaking from the cold. How could this happen?

I look around for the keys to the lock, knowing really that they won't be here but desperation is blinding me.

Grabbing my sword from its hilt I raise it over my head and smash it against the lock with all my might, shattering it to pieces; I throw the top of the stocks away from her as fast as I can.

The loss of the upper stocks trapping her arms and head causes her surely cramped muscles to tumble toward the ground in a blur of hair, blood and tears.

I scoop her up into my arms and carry her towards the castle, climbing stairs two at a time.

I shout orders at the men to bring medicines from the stores to my bed chamber where Cassie will now be staying. I'm not letting her out of my sight now that I know exactly what Alice is capable of.

I deposit her on my bed on her side so that I don't hurt her, and she instinctively rolls onto her front and faces the fire for warmth.

She's passed out from the pain and exhaustion thank god, and I stay with her until a maid arrives to dress her wounds.

I leave the room quietly and Alex is waiting outside patiently for my orders, but I turn away and heave, completely emptying my stomach contents onto the hallway floor.

It continues until I'm dry retching and tears are pooling in my eyes from the effort.

I wipe my mouth with my hand and turn to find him watching me, a look of concern on his face.

I walk past him knowing that my next actions could have many repercussions, but right now I don't give a fuck.

"Bring me Alice, Now"