Chapter 19 - Max POV

My stomach's been in knots all morning and I feel sick now as I wait for Cassie to come down to the hall. Alex is with me and he smiles in reassurance, but it doesn't help my nerves one bit.

I survey the hall and it's full to the rafters with guests and well-wishers for the special day, the priest is ready to conduct the ceremony and shooting me enquiring smiles every now and then; it's obvious he's getting impatient waiting for Cassie to arrive.

I begin to worry that she won't come and I'll be left standing here, waiting for her.

"She'll be here" says Alex reading my thoughts and looking me square in the eyes.

He can see my concern and apparently knows exactly what to say to calm me. I smile at him, silently thanking him and he hits me on the arm, chuckling and making light of the situation.

There's a commotion from the doors and I turn to see Cassie standing on the threshold of the hall.

My heart stops in my chest; I have never seen anything so beautiful in all my life.

I watch enraptured as she makes her way towards me, thanking god that he has seen fit to bless me with a wife such as her.

People in the crowd all turn to admire her and she seems to move in slow motion as she glides through the hall, a vision in white.

She smiles at me shyly as she arrives at the makeshift altar and I reach to take her hand, leading her to my side where I want her to stay, for the rest of my life.

I can't take my eyes off of her as the priest starts the ceremony, I notice she's wearing my mother's necklace and it makes me so happy that I can't control the smile that filters onto my face. She seems nervous but smiles back at me as we begin our vows.

The priest announces us as husband and wife and I breathe a sigh of relief knowing that she is finally safe and finally mine.

I move to face her and take her hands in mine, knowing that when I kiss her I will be claiming her as my wife and making it known that no other man can ever have her.

I look into her eyes and reach to cup her face, she's so beautiful I can barely breathe; I lean forward and brush my lips against hers softly.

She sighs against me and I move to deepen the kiss not being able to control myself, despite the audience we have.

There's a loud chorus of cheers and she laughs against my lips breaking free of my embrace and smiling up at me.

In that moment I know that I will do anything for this woman and it hits me like a body blow, stealing my breath.

"I think they approve" she says teasingly and I chuckle before offering my arm and leading her from the hall; a proud husband to my very core.