Max POV

I'd ridden hard and fast not looking back.

Tearing myself from Cassie's side had been like a knife to the gut and it still hurt hours later. My instincts were telling me I should have stayed to protect her but my duty to the King compelled me and I'd had no option but to leave.
My insides were warring with themselves the entire journey and I felt sick to my stomach as I imagined her unprotected and alone back at the castle.

But I knew I had to push her to the back of my mind if I was to function as a soldier and a leader, I needed to be fully present for the men and my head needed to be clear.

It's with these thoughts clouding my mind that I find us nearing the camp, Tybalt is restless and I know he feels the tension in the air, as I do.

Night has long since enveloped us and the men are silent as we enter the camp and meander through the maze of tents, making our way to the king.

We arrive at the tents housing the horses and I dismount, the men following my example, as my eyes roam the area, getting my bearings. I look to Alex beside me, who nods, our silent communication conveying his understanding of where I'm going. I know he'll handle the men while I find out the reason for our summons.

I wander through the never ending walls of white, smelling the air and feeling the odd sense of familiarity that campfire brings.

Noticing the kings banner a few tents over I slow, and mentally prepare myself for the conversation I know I'm about to have.
A feeling of deep unease settles over me and my body tenses at the unwelcome intrusion.

The guards at the king's tent nod at me and step aside, admitting me. They know who I am and why I'm here. I steel myself as I walk in with purpose, I'm here to serve the king and I intend to find out his plans for me and my men.

"Maxwell!" shouts the king from his chair. He's sat at a large round table surrounded by a group of men, all of whom are clearly soldiers and experienced men of war, like myself. I bow and approach the table, noticing that it's covered in maps that are marked with splashes of wine from the many goblets in use.

God, how are they supposed to make adequate plans for war if they're drunk, it makes my temper flare and it takes a monumental effort on my part to keep silent and bite my tongue.

"Your Majesty." I say with as much respect I can muster. "I am responding to your summons."

"Yes yes, quite quite. Why don't you sit down and have a drink? I'm sure it's been a long and hard journey for you and your men in this weather."

"Thank you your majesty. But I regret that I must decline your most generous offer. I must stay sober for my men if I am to lead them to battle." The tent falls silent and I wonder regretfully if I've offended him, but if I know him as well as I think I know him after our many meetings, he won't sense my veiled disapproval.

"Oh Maxwell, you are rather a bore. But yes of course...I understand your duty to your men. Tell me how is your wife doing these days? I hear rumours of her beauty in court on a daily basis"

I clench my jaw at the mention of Cassie. The knife I'd felt in my gut earlier makes an unwelcome return.

It's still a sore subject for the king; his best laid plans for me and Alice had failed miserably and I know that he still harbours feelings of resentment toward me. But I am far too useful in a battle to do or say anything about those feelings of his, at least for the moment.

I plaster a smile on my face as I reply "She is very well, thank you your Majesty."

"Good good. Now come sit, we have lots to discuss" he says excitedly and gestures to all the men surrounding us.
It's clear to me that this is all some kind of twisted game to him rather than an absolute necessity and it fills me with anger as his absolute carelessness for his subjects, but I know saying anything is an exercise in futility so i keep my mouth shut.