Chapter 26

It's 11am and I'm in the study discussing livestock boundary lines with a local farmer having had no breakfast, whose bloody idea was this?

He argues with me on everything and I'm just about losing my rag with him when there a knock at the door.

Lord Francis pops his head through and continues in as I gesture for him to enter.

"Francis, how lovely to see you, can I help you with anything?"

"I was just making my way down to the hall when I heard raised voices. Can I be of any assistance?" and he looks the farmer up and down appraisingly.

The look is returned and both men seem to have a face off whilst I sit on the side lines calculating the best way to bring this to a peaceful end.
It's sweet really of Francis to come to my aid when he thinks I need help, over the past week I have come to know him quite well and enjoyed his company in the absence of Max. We talk a lot of the past and his memories of the family which helps me feel close to them all.

"No thank you, that won't be necessary" but they continue staring, giving each other dirty looks. It's clear that Francis doesn't intend to leave any time soon so I decide to change my tack.

I cough loudly trying to break their concentration, "Mr. Benham, how about I come and find you this afternoon? We can finish our discussion then"

And with that Mr. Benham the farmer looks back to me and begrudgingly nods.

"Yes My Lady."

"In the meantime please do go down to the kitchens and have them fix you some lunch whilst you're here. Tell them I sent you." I smile with as much kindness I can muster in my current mood.

"Thank you my Lady" and he bows leaving the room.

One testosterone fuelled man dealt with, one to go. I turn smiling to Francis.

"Thank you for your help there, but really...I was fine"

"I have no doubt you were My Lady, I simply wanted to be sure."

"Of course" and we smile at each other warmly.

"So, shall we go down to lunch?" I suggest and he nods ascension following me from the room.

We chatter about the weather and the possibility of a hunt after lunch as we make our way through the maze of hallways and by the time we reach the head table in the great hall, most people are seated and enjoying the food already.

Francis sits next to me and we tuck into the juicy Lamb and a variety of root vegetables served on pewter platters, with gusto.

It's not long before I'm full and lean back into my chair to digest and admire the room, I now know everyone here fairly well and what their duties are, and it feels good to know that the effort I have put in over the past couple of months means that everyone is familiar with me too.
I hope they feel comfortable with me and as though they can approach me, which is after all how Max needs me to be.

I'm interrupted from my thoughts by Francis, who proposes a toast and hands me a goblet of wine.

"What are we toasting to?" I ask in interest.

"To the safe return of your husband" he says and lifts the glass to his lips taking a gulp.

I pause with sadness at the thought of Max, having still had no word from him I'm so anxious but I have to trust that he will return.

I smile at Francis and raise the glass "I can't think of a better reason to toast, thank you Francis. To Max's safe return." But before I can take a sip there's a commotion at the end of the hall and a fight has broken out amongst two men.