Chapter 22

The following day Richard's Father arrived and Max had to break the news to him about his beautiful son.
He was understandably distraught and spent a long time praying over his body before we held a small service out in the fields for him. Max led a few prayers and the small congregation lit candles.
It was an understated yet very poignant service.
I mourn for a child that I didn't even know, that I didn't get a chance to know. The child that gave me the strength to be honest with myself and my husband, who gave me my freedom back. A little piece of my heart will always belong to him.

-------------------------

The next week is overwhelmingly busy and Max has spent the whole morning this morning in the great hall hearing and judging on various local disputes; I haven't been able to get him out of my mind.

I take a slow stroll toward the hall knowing that he won't be finished for some time yet, an Earl's work is never done it seems.

The wedding was a whole 7 weeks ago now and married life with him is pure bliss. Yes I miss normal underwear and Reality TV but I'd gladly give them up to be here with him, as his wife.
Thankfully my worries about being pregnant were unnecessary; my period arrived right on schedule making me breathe a sigh of relief. At least for now. With no contraception I still run the very real risk of getting pregnant at any point, in fact it's a pretty sure thing with the way we are at the moment. The honeymoon period hasn't stopped and we can't seem to keep our hands off of one another. Any chance we get is spent together and being intimate in some way.

Last night comes backs to me in a flood of images and feelings and my legs clench trying desperately to find some relief. The memory of him on top of me thrusting slowly and purposefully as he made love to me and showing me just how much he truly loves me, enters my thoughts and I blush fiercely; worried that someone will know what I'm thinking.

I enter the hall from a small side door and look immediately for Max who can't see me behind the throng of people gathered. I stand towards the back and admire his strong presence, noticeable even from all the way back here.

He speaks and holds himself with so much confidence it's almost intimidating.

He shifts in his seat and starts scanning the room as if he knows I'm here watching and can feel my eyes on him. I enjoy watching him struggle to find me in the crowd as I know that when he does eventually spot me his reaction will be all the bigger.

His gaze eventually finds mine amongst all the others and his mouth twitches into a small smile –I can tell he's trying to remain as impassive and authoritative as possible whilst holding back his real reaction. It makes me want him all the more, knowing that the two of us, alone, know what the other is thinking.

Its a few minutes later that he stands and starts making his way through the crowd to me after announcing a short break for luncheon.

He stalks towards me with purpose, clasps my hand in his and silently leads me from the great hall into the nearest unoccupied room.

As soon as the door is closed he has me in his arms and pulls me in for a fierce kiss that we've both been needing. I lose myself in the moment and whine when he suddenly breaks away from me panting harshly.

"My God Cassie, you take my breath away. I think I have the memory of your beauty etched into my very being and then you appear before me as a vision and it's as if I'm seeing you for the very first time again."

My god, this man somehow knows exactly what to say to make my knees go weak and I beam with utter happiness. "I Love you, Max"

"And I you, wife"

I pause and just admire him for a few moments. I snap back into the moment and realise that I'm taking him away from his work.

"Shouldn't you be working? I mean I thought you were going to be busy all day? I don't want to distract you from your duties"