Chapter 20

The ceremony goes well and I relax into my new role as Countess as best I can.

When Max had kissed me he'd made me weak at the knees. It was so tender and gentle that I'd got lost in him until I heard the crowd jeering; making me blush and shattering the illusion that we were alone in that moment.

An hour or so later and we're sat at the head table enjoying our first drink as a married couple, the food is being served and Max grasps my hand under the table in such an innocent gesture that I can't help but return his squeeze and smile adoringly at him.

The drink is flowing freely and not long after that I begin to feel quite light headed and merry, I really start to enjoy myself and it surprises me.

So many people are approaching the table and giving us their congratulations and wedding gifts, I didn't even know that all of these people had been invited!

Max leans towards me and whispers conspiratorially in my ear "I think the people approve of their new Countess, and I can't say I blame them, wife" and my heart beats faster at his term of endearment...I like that he calls me that.

My god, when did that happen? When did I start to want his affection?

It shocks me but I'm enjoying myself far too much to care about why I feel like that.

Max stands and gestures to everyone that he intends to make a speech, the room falls silent instantly and I'm awed by the amount of influence he holds over people, including me.

I look up at him from my seat and find myself thanking god that I'm here with him, as he starts to talk, raising his glass.

"Thank you all for coming today; it truly is an honor to hold such good company on the day of our wedding." And he looks down at me smiling affectionately...I melt under his gaze and look away into the crowd trying to calm myself.

"Not long ago if you had told me that I would be sitting here on my wedding day, I would have laughed and said not bloody likely." And with that the crowd chuckles along with him.

He has the avid attention and affection of everyone in the room and it's easy to see why, he has such charisma.

"But I stand here today, knowing that I am the luckiest man alive. Cassandra has blessed me in so many ways... but the most important blessing she has bestowed upon me is trusting me to be her husband. She holds my heart in her hands and I wouldn't have it any other way. Cassandra..."and he looks down at me in my seat, reaching deep into my soul and speaking as if we're the only ones in the room before he continues "I vow to spend the rest of my life protecting you, doing my best to deserve you and above all else...loving you".

I hear a flurry of swoons coming from the door leading to the kitchens and turn to see all the maids wiping tears from their eyes. He raises his glass and gestures to the crowd. "To my wife"

"To the Countess!" shouts everyone in the hall and I feel myself about to burst from the range of emotions filling me.

I can't begin to describe how special Max makes me feel in this moment...it's the first time I've really thought that I could be happy and settled here with him. 

Alexander rises from his seat next to Max and raises his own glass "To the Earl and his Countess!"

"To the Earl and his Countess!" echoes back at him as the entire hall toasts us.

I take a sip of my drink as Max sits and gestures for the food to be brought out to the front tables, the waiting maids burst into a frenzy of activity refilling goblets of drink and delivering platters of steaming hot food to each of the tables.