Part 4 - Luke's POV

It had been a long night. I had laid there for hours watching Hal sleep and thinking things over. Of course I hadn't forgotten about asking her out, no. But I had to play it like I did. And it hurt... 

Because, you see now... Don't get me wrong, I hate Hal. But she's great. And there comes a time when you need to step out of the picture you're living in-- just step back and-- look at it. Is it what you've been going for-- is it what you want? Mine wasn't what I wanted.

The life I'd been living with Hal was great, but it was stuck in that revolving door process, we just kept going around and around and around. Somewhere along the road I had developed feelings for her and had been acting too manly enough to admit it-- even inside my own head! We were the type of friends that stuck their gum to the back of each other's necks-- the type that laughed at each other when they tripped or they type that get into mini food fights. I loved it. Yet, I was trapped. Every girl I had been with since I had met Hal never seemed to work out. And the reasons why they didn't? Because in the back of my mind, Hal was always there to compare to them. And they always lost to her. She was a truly beautiful girl-- but I'm usally able to look past that. Beauty is great but personality is something, too. And I think this is the reason I never was attracted to Hal in the first place.

'Could you stop popping your stupid gum?! I'm trying to focus here, you fucking dildo!' was the first words she'd ever said to me. Ahh. What a charmer. Yet, I'm guilty to chewing loudly and being disruptive in math class. But aside from all the name calling, teasing, and just acting like friends do... she was molded into my heart and I didn't really wanna work to get her out, so I might as well just try with her and see what happens.

 "YOU'RE SUCH AN ASSHOLE!" she blared. Ouchhhh.

"Haleigha!" I grabbed her wrist and she tried to snap it away. I was too strong and won. She relaxed, giving up. "Look at me," I stared into her milky blue-grey eyes. God, they were beautiful, even when they were slightly puffy with sleep and all her makeup had been removed. "I'm not saying this because I feel bad for you! Hal, you know me like the back of your hand! You know very well that I could give a shit about what you're thinking in that crazy head of yours about other guys and how they suck or whatever! But I'm realizing how amazing you are. I'm wondering why they don't want you, and while I'm wondering what they can't see in you, my head starts pointing out all these wonderful things that they should see. Like your smile... your laugh that sounds like bubblegum- the way I was popping it when you first talked to me. Your hair, how it falls perfectly on your shoulders and down your back and springs up and down when you curl it... I mean, you got some strange boots you wear and your dark purple lipstick sometimes gets a little old... But there's more things I love about you than I hate. That's all I'm saying." I let go of her wrist and turned to walk away. I bet that had sounded completely and utterly crazy.

"...Luke..." I heard it. In the sound of her voice. Our friendship was over. "Can we make a new promise?" she asked, cocking her head. 

"What?"

"I said-- can we make a new promise?" she gulped.

"Like what?" Shit, it's a promise for her to be allowed to beat me to a stump, I know it.

"Well, I'll promise you that I'll try this whole "you and I" thing if we keep it secret. It's an expriement, so no one has to know, right? At least not yet, you know, if the experiment doesn't blow up in our faces!" she made dramatic hand motions with a casual laugh. She was either pulling my fucking leg so hard it was gonna fall off, or, she meant it... Here's to another shot in the dark.

"I promise," I nodded my head. Shit, we make a lot of promises.