Assassins Of Yesterday - 2

~~ Life in Disguise ~~

Ten years later......

The boy's small, yet well-built body dashed through the kitchen's glass double doors as a brunette woman ran after him. He pushed his legs to run faster, heading towards the pool area, and he quickly threw his body down, sliding against the marble tiles only to be hidden by thick bushes. His rigid breathing died as he heard soft thuds on the marble tiles. He turned his head to have a better view of where the woman was.

She stood quietly beside the pool. Her brown eyes glazing over the area as she searched for the boy that ran from her grasp. Her hips carried the weight of her palms. Her concentration so deeply flooded that her brain did not allow various sounds to register. She wondered where the boy had could have hidden. He runs fast, she pondered. Abruptly disrupted, a pair of hot hands pressed onto her back and the woman yelped as she fell into the freezing pool. The water rushed around her, soaking her from head to toe. "Ja-!" Splash!

The woman kicked her legs and waved her arms around, slowly submerging to the surface. Jacob was roaring a laugh. His body all resting on his knees as he clutched his stomach. He knew his mother would never let him hear the end of it. But boy, was that a sight to see. Jacob recovered quickly and like the speed of lightning, he ran into the house, retrieved a towel, and ran back to his shaken mother.

Jessica gasped in air as her face hit the cold air. Hastily, she pulled herself up, shivering at the cool autumn air. "Here." Her gaze crawled up to her son and then trailed down to his extended arm that held out a towel. The woman chuckled and reached for a dollar in her back pocket. Jacob watched her as she waved the dollar in his face. "You won."

He hesitated for a moment, eventually reaching for it. Jessica smiled wickedly. With a powerful tug, she yanked her son forward and pushed him into the pool. Smooth. Who would have thought a 27-year-old mother would be so immature?

It was true. She was seventeen when she was pregnant. She didn't have a mother to teach her about the correct methods of protection or about any feminine matter. It didn't help that she only had a father that worked most times and traveled constantly and that mostly came to embarrass himself when having those "talks" with her.

"Mom!" Jacob's call snapped her from her trance. "Yes?"

"I was asking if we're heading home now." The woman chuckled at the urgency registering in her son's voice. "Yes, we are. But first, we need a warm shower and dress in warm clothes or else we'll end up with a nasty cold."

"Okay. Hurry mom. I'm dying to go back home." Jessica laughed as she wrapped the towel around him. "You're quite boring for a ten-year-old boy." Jacob shook his head at his mother. Only to then point at her with his index and thumb stick out in form of a gun and have a smug smile on his face. She gasped and smack his head. "What was that for?"

"For being disrespectful."

"Whatever."

* * * * * * * * * *

The ride back to their home was enlightened by jokes and singing. Once Jessica Williams parked in her driveway, Jacob dashed out of the car with his bag in hand and began to go through the unlocking-the-door-procedures. Jessica took her time taking her bag and stepping out the car. Her car beeped as it locked. Jacob stood at the door, holding it open for his mother to pass, then locked it.

"Jessica." The man that stood against the wall was now down on the ground, ducking from the bullet that penetrated through the wall. Both Jessica and Jacob sighed in relief as they recognized who the mysterious man was. "Grandpa!"

* * * * * * * * * *

"He fell asleep," the man in suit informed Jessica as he sat on a chair.

"Miraculously," she muttered, causing her father to laugh deeply. They sat across from each other at the dining room table as they ate some lasagna Jessica managed to put together. Her father could see the tension and worrisome in his daughter's eyes.

"Why are you here," she asked, eager to get straight to the point. Her father sighed. "Jessica, I ask of you to not speak to me in such tone. You make it sound like if you don't want me here." The woman shook her head. "Last I remember seeing you were 10 years ago when I begged you to check up on him."

Manuel winced at the coldness penetrated in his daughter's voice. "Jessica," he began before she shook her head 'no'. "I'd rather drop the matter father. Just...explain to me your reason for coming to my home unannounced."

"It is about Jackson." The mention of the man's name sent shivers crawling up her spine. She could feel the cold sheets spreading over their heads just by the mention of such foul name. The woman couldn't help but shiver in disgust as flashbacks ran through her mind of their previous encounters.

"Jackson was liberated by his associates during a transport to the United States Penitentiary Marion in Illinois. Front agents were shot. One bullet, Mk 47 rifle, center forehead on both agents. Drivers as well. The back door was blown in half with a small hand grenade taped onto the door handle lock. Handcuff chains were frozen off. Jackson was taken in under two minutes and thirty-seven seconds time."

Manuel paused for a moment to take a sip of his wine before continuing. "I need you to come in. You would be assigned a high-level combat partner. You both would go to Lawrenceville, Georgia and eliminate his associates, contacts, and any family member that may be, or is, corrupted. Which I highly doubt there is any family from him. And finally, the main target."

"And Jacob?"

"Jacob could stay with me unless you take him with you and keep him in the dark."

Jessica nodded slowly, carefully registering every word and overthinking specific points her father informed her of. Standing to her feet, the woman moved towards the cupboard where she reached within its contents and took a hold of a pen and a notepad. Scribbling neatly along the blue lines, Jessica wrote down the important factors of her new information.

* * * * * * * * * *

1108 words