Assassins Of Yesterday - 7

~~ I don't have a mother ~~

Jessica galloped to the front of the sagging warehouse where the only light source shone on the entrance. Quietly, the young girl took her knife from her pocket. She inhaled and stepped inside the building, looking around. The enormous room reeked of Clorox. A fair amount of Clorox. Unable to withstand the smell, the young girl dashed out of the warehouse from the back exit. She gasped at the sight. Countless of bodies everywhere. Assassins.

A groan from one of the bodies made her want to scream but her 10-year-old self-knew not to attempt on such move. "Dad," she gasped. Sprinting, Jessica headed to her father and took his hand. Within the minute she spoke, all the other assassins began to stir into an awakening. "Jessica, listen to me. Run back to the car, lock the doors and load your gun. Do not come out for any reason." She nodded and darted through the grass around the warehouse to where their vehicle was parked. Panic arose in her stomach at the thought of leaving her father and the other agents like such. But it was a given order, and even she had to oblige to it.

She only needed a couple of steps left to reach the vehicle when she was suddenly pushed aside. The young girl winced at the pain registering in her ribs. Squinting, she could tell the person was a young boy, couldn't have been older than 15. She heard the click of a gun and her body reacted instantaneously. Revolving her hips, she was able to kick the gun away and leap onto her feet. With a sharp blow, Jessica was able to knock him onto his back with a grunt. She quickly jumped on top of him and pinched the thick skin of his neck, reaching his sensitivity, rendering him unconscious. She laughed and sighed as she stood on her legs. "Whew. Well, that was easy."

She began to open the passenger door but was stopped once again as someone's thick fingers entangled with her hair and yanked her back. "Ow," she hissed. "You are a very naughty girl. Tsk. Just like your mother."

The mention of the woman that abandoned her and her father when she was only a baby, did many things to her. And not beautiful things. Jessica faced her captor. "Don't compare me to that woman." she seethed. The man holding her roared a laugh and a spark of anger flashed through the young girl's eyes. "Now wouldn't you like to know what I got for you little Jessica?"

Jessica scoffed at the question. "I don't take trash."

The man chuckled softly and snapped his fingers. A woman appeared from behind the trees out to the clearing. Her brown eyes glistened under the light of the moon and her mouth parted as a gasp escaped. "Jessica." There was no smoothness in her voice as she mentioned her name. All the young assassin wanted to do was rip her throat out at the mention of her name leaving the woman's lips and leave her to die. Her so called mother stepped to touch her cheek but Jessica spits at the woman. Her mother was hurt, it evidently spread across her face. "It's me. Your mo-"

"You are nothing to me." The man yanked at her hair, causing Jessica to grind her teeth in pain. "Respect your mother brat." She scoffed louder, preparing her hands. "I don't have a mother." Without hesitation, she reached down and flipped out her knife from her pocket again only this time, she flung the knife in front of her. A shrilling scream filled her ears.

"JESSICA!!"

Her mouth dropped as a gasp escaped them. Sweat beads had formed along her hairline, back, and hands, creating goosebumps as they ran down. Her breathing was unsteady, almost as if she was going to have an attack. "Hey, what happened?"

Confused, the frightened woman twisted back only to realize she was settled on Matthew's lap. His hands all too close to her body, holding her when she didn't want to be held. There was warmth, comforting, but it was something Jessica didn't want to feel from the man either. She needed to be alone, away from the man.

She hastily scrambled away from the man and painful waves instantly hit her mind. The room was spinning, her eyelids heavy and droopy. "Whoa, careful Jessy," Matthew said as he moved to hold her up but the woman suddenly felt trapped. With a clouded mind, her hand flung out and ran across Matthew's face, imprinting her mark. "Don't touch me."

* * * * * * * * *

Matthew wrapped the humid towel around his pulsating torso and he stepped out to his room. The man, tiredly, snatched up his clothing and began to get dressed. Smith was still pondering what had actually happened in the living room. She was going to have a breakdown and he wanted to help her, but it was as if she wasn't comfortable with his closeness. It was as if he was choking her with his presence. That was something he didn't want her to feel.

He wanted her to be okay with him, to be cozy with his presence. But how could I possibly blame her? Her fiance died. The man she loved.He could still remember how angry she was when she found out he could have prevented it.

"You were right, Smith. We shouldn't have let him go search for her." Martinez said once he reached us. The room was packed with people that had some sort of old business with him. Jessica was sitting beside him, her arms wrapped around herself. At the mention of Martinez's statement, she sat up and faced him. "What do you mean?"

Marcello ogled at her, confusingly, at her question. "What are you talking about? He asked us where you were when it all happened. Smith told him but he didn't know the attack was going to take place at that time." Disbelief settled within Jessica's mind as she stood up and faced them. Dry tear stains were along her cheeks. "You sent him?" Smith dreaded this moment. He knew that she was going to eventually find out. But he didn't want the stress of the situation to affect her child. She was only 7 months in. "ANSWER ME GODDAMMIT!!"

Smith and Martinez cringed at the sound of her powerful voice resonating around the now quiet room. Everyone was facing them, curious to what had gotten the pregnant woman angry. "Yes, but I-" Her fist came out faster before he could start his apology. Her palm stung his cheek, leaving a red cheek. With regret, Smith watched as she hurried as fast as she could out of the room.

There was nothing he could have done afterward. She didn't speak to him, answer his texts or calls. She ignored him completely. The man hadn't noticed silent tears had fallen until one fell on his palm. His eyebrows furrowed at why was he crying. Because you still love her. Smith shook his head. He couldn't be with her even if he did love her deeply. She was out of reach, a new person. A mother. The man turned around only to see that Jacob was closing his door. "I thought you were asleep." he murmured. Jacob laughed quietly. "I couldn't go to sleep. Something was keeping me up." Matthew slipped on his sweatpants. "Oh yeah? What?"

Jacob jumped onto Matthew's bed. Matthew rose an eyebrow and gazed at Jacob. "Yep. I see that you love my mom and she apparently has something for you. EVEN though you both deny what your past is. But, that is none of my business. However, I like you, Matthew. It is also apparent my mom fancies you. Sooo."

Matthew rose an eyebrow. "What?" Jacob shrugged. "You can either fight to win her over. Because let's face it. She is stubborn as hell. Or, you can give up right now." Matthew chuckled at Jacob's statements. "You sure act mature Jacob. But, I'm sure you already know the answer to it. Right?"

Jacob smirked. "Good. Now, I want to watch a movie." Matthew laughed at how easily it was to talk to Jacob. He couldn't help but relate him to his deceased daughter. Julie. My little girl. Shaking his head, the man took the remote and settled beside Jacob on the bed. "What about this one?"

* * * * * * * * *

The sleeping woman was disturbed awake as she heard the sound of gun shots filling the house. Her heart began to pump faster as she scrambled off bed and reached for her firearm.

The hallways were vacant and she rushed into Matthew's room which was where the sound was coming from. Disbelief poured over her as she noticed that it had been a movie playing. She also noticed that Jacob was asleep in Matthew's embrace. There was something about both of them getting along that pleased her. But she shook it off. She switched the TV off and retreated to her own room. What is happening with me?

* * * * * * * * *

1520 Words