Assassins Of Yesterday - 6

~~ Heartbroken ~~

"Why don't you like him?" Jacob asked as he finished tugging the comb down his hair. His mother sighed heavily before running a hand over her face. "We don't exactly think alike. He and I." Her nerves were bundling up again and the woman felt like yelling out and shooting someone. However, she held her ground. Jacob only rose his eyebrow at his mother. "Yeah right," he murmured.

Jessica still heard what her son had murmured and with much to his disbelief, his mother lifted the pillow from his bed and threw it at his head. The feather pillow cushioned around his head, causing it to tilt to the side at impact. "Real mature mom," he retorted. Jessica smiled smugly and walked out of his room, heading to hers.

* * * * * * * * *

Smith emerged from the bathroom at the beginning of the hallway. The man ran a thick palm over his glistening hair, through the thick locks of his curly hair. With a deep sigh, the man began to rub the towel over his hair and he began to ponder about the years he hadn't seen Jessica. 10 and a half excruciating years of not seeing her at all. She sure had changed a lot. Her hair was no longer a dark brown. It was now a cappuccino with golden highlights. And her eyes, they seemed brighter. Filled with life. Something he had missed from her.

Jacob was standing outside his mother's partner's door, waiting to muster enough courage to knock on his door. There was something about the man that had him intrigued. The fact that he could almost see the flaming desire in the man's eyes whenever he looked at his mother, left him shaking in curiosity. With a deep inhale, the boy knocked on the door. He heard light shuffling from the other side and then his heavy steps as they approached the door. "Jacob?"

Smith was astonished that it had been Jessica's son at the door and not her. "What's wrong?" Jacob only shook his head before gesturing inside his room. Matthew nodded, allowing for him to go inside. "Is there something the matter?" Jacob sighed. "What is your history with my mom?"

The question itself was already a challenge for Agent Smith. He knew that the young boy had no current knowledge of why they were here. He didn't know what his mother did for a living. Regardless of the pain pulling at his heart, Matthew answered his question. "We're only business partners."

Jacob shook his head. "That's not it. You look at my mom with...adoration perhaps. Your eyes light up at the mere glance at my mom." Jacob watched as Smith's eyes widened slightly at his statements. He knew he had caught them. "Y'all were past lovers weren't you'll?" Smith shook his head a bit too rapidly as he turned away, tearing his eyes away from the same resemblance of Jessica's. They weren't past lovers but they did have their moments even after Wilwood proposed to Jessica.

"No, we weren't. We used to be friends back then until we had a fallout." Jacob furrowed his eyebrows, forgetting about his question and now attracted to what Smith said. "What do you mean?"

Smith sighed. Should he tell him? He obviously had to know his father was dead. Jessica couldn't have lied about that. Just as he opened his mouth to answer, someone else's voice interrupted him. "He cheated on my best friend, leaving her heartbroken."

Jessica had overheard when Jacob asked Matthew what his history was with her. She couldn't help but stand there and listen to what excuse he made up. However, when he questioned if they were past lovers, she automatically knew that his thoughts would drift to him. And although she hadn't confessed to Jacob why he wasn't with them, she couldn't let him tell Jacob. She wanted to be the one to do it.

Jacob and Matthew ogled at Jessica as she stood in the doorway. However, their eyes fell to Jessica's fidgeting hands. Her fingers were playing around with her engagement ring. The one Wilwood gave her. Matthew felt the anger bubble of electricity in his stomach. Jacob had also noticed this and his eyes diverted to Matthew, whose jaw was clenched tightly. A bone of his jaw shifted, almost popping. "Right?"

Matthew looked into Jessica's deep orbs, hatred seeping into his stare. "Yeah."

**********

"Night guys!" Jacob yelled from his bedroom.

After dinner, they arrived home and settled in different parts of the house. Jacob settled into the living room. Jessica left to the back porch where she sat on the cement step and threw pebbles into the trees surrounding their house. Matthew left down to the basement, assuring the lock was put correctly, and began to practice his knife throwing.

"Night Jacob!" Jessica yelled back from the kitchen where she was washing the teacup she had used to warm up some milk with honey to ease her nerves.

A hand was placed on her shoulder and began to massage the tensed sore spots of her muscles. She closed her eyes in bliss before opening them and scolding herself. "Stop," she whispered. Matthew nodded, removing his hands away from her scorching body. "I see you've made a life for yourself."

He acknowledged the fact that she was able to raise him without help. Sure, she used the money she had earned and probably accepted the home her father kept aiming to give her. But, Jessica had always been an independent woman. Always had been and always will be.

"It's been well over the years," Jessica retorted dryly, shrugging her shoulders in the process. They stood in silence before Jessica reached aside for the towel over the counter. She dried her hands and threw the material back as her hands were placed firmly on the counter, gripping onto it. The silence was suffocating her. She needed to breathe. But Matthew was not going to let her go. He stood behind her, placing his hands beside her and leaned into her, inhaling her light scent.

"Do you still hate me?"

The question caught her off guard. Did she? Jessica shook her head. "I've come to realize that it wasn't your fault he was caught in the crossfire. It was also my fault I told him to meet me there when I knew it was going to happen." The faint breathing of Matthew against Jessica's neck was nothing but tempting. But she couldn't deal with her emotions at the moment.

"Goodnight."

*  * * * * * * * * *

1077 Words