Chapter 1.

Courtney's P.O.V.

Sitting behind the desk, in my rather uncomfortable chair, the afternoon dragged on at an annoyingly slow pace. I placed another book in front of me and made sure it had the tags and barcode in their correct spot before placing it in a pile with other books that were done and needed to be put out on the shelf. This is the way Saturday's always go.

Working in the dead of winter was always slow. The cold was one thing but the boring empty building was another. I knew it would be slow but not this way. The thrill of being here on a Saturday is one thing I definitely misunderstood. Now don't think I hate it, because living in West Virginia you have to take any job that is offered to you, but I'm not over the moon about it. Especially having to be asleep early on a Friday night and then being up at eight to get ready was not fun. But a job is a job, you do your work and at the end of the week, or every two weeks for me, you earn your pay. That's just how it works for me.

I jumped at the sound of the entrance door shutting and an unfamiliar voice. Through the glass window in the office, I saw two teenage guys standing in front of the circuit desk. "Excuse me, ma'am."

I stood up out of the black chair and went to greet the two guys. I took notice of the dark black band hoodies they both had on and smiled as both the logos were of bands I really liked. Obviously that was a plus to see.

"Hi, can I help you?" I asked the two of them. Their gazes shifted from taking in the new space, to me. It was pretty strange to have two teenage boys in a library; especially before noon. Guys rarely come in here anyway so seeing these two was a big surprise. Weather or not.

"You work here?" One of the guys with the black hair and purple fringe asked. I held the urge to roll my eyes. I'm the only one in here and I just come out of the office; of course I work here. Be nice, Court. You're at work.

"Yeah, I do. What can I help you with?" I asked again, giving him another smile. He gave me a nervous chuckle. Maybe I should cut him some slack since he has to be new around here.

"I was hoping you had a book and I could check it out." Both of them came closer to the desk I was at as I shook the mouse to wake the computer up. "Okay, what's the name of the book or the author's name?" I looked up through my glasses at him.

"It's the 'Fault in Our Stars' by John Green? It's a big thing now and I wanted to read it." I smiled at the two of them. I had not read that one but everyone that takes it out brings it back and gushes about it. As I typed I could feel both of them staring at me. There was only one result that came up when I hit enter; thankfully it was for this library and not another one. So I didn't have to worry about trying to put it on hold for him.

"Well I guess you're pretty lucky; we have one copy and it's on the shelf. It should be under Fiction GRE." Both guys gave me a pointed look as I went all librarian on them. I actually get that a lot. Most teenagers don't know what I'm saying half the time, they just wait for me to go and get the book for them.

"Follow me and I'll show you where it should be." I walked around the desk and walked the few feet to the row of shelves. Thankfully, this is a small library so it wasn't much of a hassle trying to find anything, especially when they were kept up with and put in the correct place.

"I'm not trying to be or sound rude or anything like it, but aren't you quite young to work in a library?" It was the first time the guy, that was accompanying the other, had spoken. I had noticed his green eyes the moment I had looked at him; and the cute dimples he sported. 

He shook out his curly hair as he looked nervous.

I stopped looking for the book and gave him my attention; intrigued by the fact that he thinks I can't work in a library because of my age. "You have to be what, sixteen or seventeen? It's usually older ladies that work in libraries." This time he continued to talk with complete seriousness. I had to stifle the laugh that desperately wanted to come out.

"Look...." I trailed off, waiting for him to give me his name.

"Ashton." He said as soon as he knew what I needed. His face showed me that he was scared of what I was going to say. "Look Ashton, you're right old ladies do usually work in a library but you're wrong about my age. I'm twenty and yes I do work here; that being said, I work here because it's my kind of environment. It's pretty nice to be able to come to work and get lost in a book; not many people can say they enjoy their jobs." Once I finished my little speech I went back to finding the book, but not before seeing the looks on their faces.

I hadn't meant to sound bitchy or rude, I just hate when people ask me why I work here. Sure the jobs around here are limited but I actually love coming here and reading books. It takes me away from the world and places me somewhere where everyone gets a happy ending. 

My eyes scanned through the rows and once I found it I made a clicking sound with my tongue before plucking it off the shelf. Once I grabbed it, I saw the guys eyes light up.

"I've not seen you two around so I'm going to assume that you're new and that you'd need a library card?" I asked as I straightened my sweater out and walked back to the computer. Already knowing that I would have to make a new record for him.

"Yeah, we're new but we're also not staying long." Ashton said in place for his friend. I watched as the darker haired guy gave Ashton a glare. Ashton seemed to be giving him a glare right back, most likely cranky because I sounded sassy earlier.

"Okay, I just need to get a few bits of information before I can check this out to you." I turned my attention to the other guy, not really minding Ashton.

The guy nodded his head.

"Okay, full name?"

"Michael Gordon Clifford." I nodded my head as I typed, not even bothering to look at the keyboard. I have been doing this so long that I have the keyboard memorized, only looking up at the screen to see the next question.

"Mailing address?" His answer surprised me since it actually wasn't in the United States. What in the hell is he doing here if his address is in Australia? He's definitely a long ways from home.

I went through the rest of the questions, typing down the answers he gave me, and then checking the book out to him. He gave me a pleased smile as I handed the book and his receipt to him.

"Okay, you're in the system and the book is due back in two weeks. If you need to renew it or something, the number for here is on that slip." I smiled at the two and watched as, the now known, Michael slipped the paper into his back pocket.

"Thanks." He smiled at me. I returned it and watched as they proceeded towards the front entrance door. "You two have a good day!" I told them before they got the door opened. I usually said that to most people that leave here, but most just say thank you before leaving.

These two, however, turned back towards me, smiled, and told me the same thing. That was new to me; not many people are as friendly as these two.

As I watched them go out the door I couldn't help but notice how Ashton turned his head and looked back. When he noticed I was staring, though, he gave me a shy smile and wave just before the door closed fully.

So first chapter done and in the books, also has been edited and looked over so hopefully it's good. Let me know if you're enjoying.

-Stay Beautiful

Courtney S