Chapter 5.

Ashton

"It's nice to meet you Ashton, I'm Kyle, would you like to come in?" He seemed like a friendly guy but I just met him. I couldn't really tell anything about the guy.

"Yeah thank you." I said as I stepped inside. The stair case in front of the door being the first thing I see; the second being the large living room off to the left. My eyes roamed around the living room but stopped and looked back to Kyle as I could hear a commotion going on upstairs. I didn't question it since it wasn't anything I should ask about.

"Would you like something to drink?" Kyle tried covering the noises upstairs, it didn't work though. I shook my head, signaling a no, and looked around the room. Looking anywhere but at the stairs beside of us. It was a pretty awkward silence since I didn't know this guy and that the people upstairs were being loud. They sounded like they were fighting but through the ceiling, everything was muffled.

I opened my mouth to tell him I could come back another time when this Kyle guy said he was sorry about the commotion going on. I shook my head at him.

"It's cool. I'm used to loud and crazy noises." I chuckled softly thinking about some of the louder experiences I've had. Quickly changing the subject, I asked who lived here.

"So the lady who sold us the house next door said that there was only an older man and a teenager living here. No offense or anything but you don't look old enough to have a teenage daughter." The nerves were getting to me as I spoke because I could tell I was stumbling over my words.

"It's okay Ashton, I'm only twenty five but I used to live here. My younger sister still does with my dad. They're both upstairs at the moment. She's having a little tiff right now so that's why there's so much a lot of commotion." He told me a little about the thing going on upstairs but I honestly didn't want for him to think I wanted to pry into their business.

I shook my head at him and told him it was okay. Truthfully, I didn't know if I should be relieved or scared. Relieved that this is her brother or scared that this is her brother. He's a big guy so I could only wonder what her dad actually looked like. Why would it even matter, I just wanted to introduce myself to her, not be in her life forever. But as I thought about it, I had a feeling that I was lying. If I didn't want to be friends with her, why was I even over here in the first place?

"I'll be right back Kyle. Dad and James are still upstairs." A voice I instantly recognized said. I let out a little sigh of relief; it is the same girl.

"Where are you going?" Kyle asked as he got up, from the couch, and walked in front of her as she stood on the steps. She huffed a little, making me feel a bit awkward for hearing this conversation.

"I'm taking Blake's shit back to him and to tell him that he can kiss my ass." I took this moment to steal a glance at her. She didn't look at all like she did last night; instead she looked like she did when I first met her at the library. For a reason I didn't understand, my heart fluttered at seeing her again. A box was placed under her arm and I could very well see a whole bunch of random things piled into it. A couple band shirts and what looked to be a flannel hung out the side of it.

"I'm coming then." Kyle said suddenly. I took that as the opportunity to make my presence known, standing up and heading for the door. Both of them didn't even glance in my direction. Well that didn't go as I planned.

"Kyle you're not going! I've told you this, now kindly fuck off and let me do this on my own." She yelled making me jump. I was surprised to hear her curse so much. She seemed like a girl who was too afraid to say that sort of stuff.

Kyle stepped to the side as she did; blocking her path again.

"He cheated on you. As an older brother's job, I've got to set him straight." Kyle said calmly, trying to her that he should come with her.

"I'm not a sixteen year old girl anymore Kyle, I don't need my brother to fight my battles." I watched on as she gritted her teeth while she spoke to him.

I definitely didn't expect this girl to be like that. Not that she's a hot head or anything. It was just the fact that the way she acted in the library and how she was acting now; it was like you were talking about two different women. Maybe she tried to be.

She pushed past Kyle and ran out the door.

"Shit!" Kyle exclaimed suddenly. "You, Ashton, go with her. I won't be able to stop her barefoot." Kyle said frantically, looking around for what I'm assuming was his shoes. I didn't even know that I was rushing out the door after her until I was sitting inside of her small car. She was placing the box in the trunk before she got into the driver's seat and noticed I was in the car with her.

"What the hell are you doing in my car?" She asked shocked and slightly annoyed at me. I tensed up, thinking she was going to start yelling at me or something like it.

"Your brother-." I only got that much out before she cut me off.

"Never mind, figured Kyle would ask you to follow me. Doesn't even know who you are and sends you with me. Whatever. Just put your seat belt on Ashton." She said annoyed by my presence as she put her own on. I was shocked that she remembered my name but I quickly did the seat belt; not wanting to piss her off even more than she already was. She started the car and reversed out of the driveway; the tires squealing as they hit the pavement of the main road.

I didn't really want to ask her what her name was but the suspense of not knowing was killing me.

"Courtney, that's my name. Now please just don't bother me. I'm going to break up with my cheating boyfriend."

I stared out the window as I watched the houses pass by my eyes in a blur. Although it was nice to finally know her name, I kept my mouth shut and instead thought.

Courtney, it suited her.

Word Count 1149

It's Really Short And Not Very Appealing But It Was Mainly A Filler For You Amazing People! This Is Dedicated To My Best Friend And Lovely Little Sister From Across The Water!

I've Not Gotten Much Feedback, So I'm Guessing Y'all Are Liking It? Comment And Tell Me Because It's Kind Of Like Talking To A Brick Wall. Even Though I Love You Guys!

-Stay Beautiful

Courtney S

// Edited 5/2/21 //