Chapter 2.

Courtney

"Bye Andy! You have a good day!" I smiled as the only other person to come into the library, left. Andy is a usual that comes into the library; he's a good guy and always talks when he's in here. I can honestly say he's probably the best part of my Saturday's.

As much as I was happy I had a few people in here, I was so ready to get home and start getting ready for my date tonight.

Prior to Andy coming in, I had already locked the doors, but since I knew him and that he wasn't going to take long, I let him in. So while he was printing off a few papers I turned off the rest of the computers and copiers, making it easier. So when he was finished all I would have to do is turn off his computer and the lights before turning the alarm on and heading out the door.

When he left through the front door, I gathered the few books I had checked out to myself, turned the computer he was using off, and grabbed my keys. With the alarm set, I made my way to the back door. Twisting the door handle a couple times, I made sure that I had locked the door before turning and catching a glimpse of my car.  You couldn't miss her even if you tried; and yes, she is a girl.

She's a '16 Ford Focus with a midnight black paint job. I love the car because it was the easiest on gas I have ever seen a car be and also because she was my moms car and she loved it.  When she died two years ago my dad gave me the keys and told me she was mine. He wasn't going to drive it because it brought him too much pain so I have taken care of her ever since; almost like she was my baby.

I unlocked the driver's side door before sliding in and then turning her on; mainly to blast the heat. I let the car heat up before carefully maneuvering her out of the snow covered parking lot. She did well in the snow, mainly because of the snow tires I bought earlier this year. It was just turning four when I hit the main road, which also means that my dad is at work and I get the house to myself. My dad works late nights at a manufacturing company but he does maintenance, which means that he oversees the function of the equipment and fixes it so is works properly.

On the occasion that he has a night off is the only time I get to see him. He gets home about two hours before I have to get up and goes to work and he's gone before I get home in the evenings. I don't complain about it, though, because he's always been distant. Don't get me wrong, I love my dad and everything, it's just we've got way too much hot blood in us that when we're together for too long we get on each other's nerves. It may also have a thing or two to do with that we both act the same.

In my young teenage years we were always butting heads. My mom used to be the peace maker but now it's only us to figure out when enough bickering back and forth is enough.

When I pulled up to my house I noticed there were cars parked outside of the neighbor's house. It doesn't sound strange except for the fact that no one has lived in that house for more than ten years.

Everyone claims that it's haunted by a previous owner, who had died in the house. I've never been in the house to verify if it's haunted but I do know that when the older two story house was being built, a construction worker did die while on the job.

As I thought, I put the car in park before cutting the engine and gathering my stuff. I couldn't help but feel eyes on me, but I didn't dare to see who was watching me, it was way to cold for me to even care. Well it was the cold, and the fact that I had a date tonight with my boyfriend Blake tonight. 

I had been looking forward to tonight.

We've not been out on a date in a while and he said he wanted to make up the time that we've not spent together. I hadn't heard from him today, so I was hoping that we were still meeting tonight. I was positive that if he needed to cancel he would have called, or answered my few attempts to get ahold of him. The last time we had hung out was last weekend and it was nice to have that intimate time with him just the two of us.