Chapter 4.

Courtney

"Do you want to say anything to him before you leave? I've got to help Jess get her stuff in the car." James was holding Jessica's guitar case in one hand as he stood up out of the booth we were sitting in still.

Ever since Blake's first kiss, but definitely not their last, I've been watching them. I figured out that this probably isn't the first time they've seen each other because of how handsy and talkative they were towards one another. She seemed to just hold onto every word he said, smiling and commenting on everything he said. 

Every time they would kiss it felt like the knife would twist farther in my heart. "No." I said as I shook my head.  "I just want to go home." I finished, grabbing a few dollars out of my purse and placing them on the table before getting out of my seat. He took his right hand, the one that wasn't holding the guitar case, and brought it up around my shoulders; bringing me closer to him.

Purposely, James brought me by Blake's table. I saw him lift his head, to see who was walking by, and when he noticed it was me his demeanor changed. He looked guilty and scared. I guess his date noticed his sudden mood change because she looked up to see what he was staring at. Her face drained of color before she dropped her gaze to her food. I held in the tears. Why do they feel guilty now, when they've been caught? Why don't they feel it when they are cheating? I mean you know it's wrong and you're bound to get caught sometime so why even try?

If you're not happy in a relationship just break it off.

"I'm going to drive you home I don't think you'd be okay driving yourself." James said once we were outside and heading towards my car. I thought for a moment, the only reason he was here was for his younger sister.

"Don't forget Jess, she was in the bathroom." I said, knowing that she couldn't drive alone.

He mumbled something before telling me to get into the passenger's seat and that he'd be back in a moment. I followed his instructions and got in.

I didn't want to think about Blake and what I had just witnessed but my mind kept floating back to him. Was I not good enough for him? How long has he been seeing her while he was with me?  Worst of all was he having sex with me while knowing he was doing the same thing with her? The questions came and wouldn't leave, making me feel as low and disgusting as someone could get.

I just want to go home, cry and sleep. The ache in my chest is getting worse and I don't really know how to deal with it. I hadn't had to deal with this heartbreak before. Blake was my first crush, if you don't count those grade school things, and he was my first love. We started dating in our senior year and have been together ever since. I guess tomorrow I'd have to break it off, as if it wasn't painfully obvious now. But when I do that, I have to figure out why he didn't just end things. It would have been better than being cheated on.

The car door opening startled me. I turned and watched on as Jessica climbed into the back, making it hard since my backseat is small and she was carrying her guitar, while James got into the driver's seat.

"What about your car? You know you can't leave it here, they'll tow it!" My voice came out funny, almost as if someone else was talking.

James shot me a sympathetic look before talking. "I told the manager that it wouldn't start and I would get it in the tomorrow. No worries. Now I'm going to drop Jess off at our house then I'll crash at yours tonight so you won't be alone, okay?" He pulled out of the parking lot and onto the main road as he was talking.