Chapter 35

Courtney’s P.O.V*

It was quite weird coming home and waking up to Anne at my house. I actually think she was more nervous about seeing me than I was about seeing her.  It was late in the afternoon when I came down the stairs, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes as I walked into the kitchen.

“Good morning Anne.” I sat down at the bar, watching as she grabbed some stuff out of the fridge and put in a bowl. I loved that she was making food because I was starving.

“Hey Courtney, how was the flight?” She asked. She placed the bowl, with some fruit and a fruit, in front of me. I looked at it and smiled, it looked amazing.

“It was good, short, but the ride home was what took the longest.” She handed me a spoon.

The flight from Chicago to Charleston was only an hour but the ride home with my dad was quite boring. He wanted to hear all about the tour, his grandson, Ashton, and me, but all I wanted to do was sleep. Of course, that didn’t happen so I had to tell him about the tour.

Then I explained all about my last few doctor’s appointments and how I’ve picked out his name. To me the trip was boring but my dad loved hearing everything.

“How’s Braxton?” She asked. I raised my eyebrow at her, wondering how she knew his name.

“Your father told me. It’s cute.” I took a bite of my food, before thanking her.

“He’s quite active these last few days and he’s kicking me quite hard, sometimes I wish he’d ease up.” It’s true; when I do things he’ll kick me quite hard. He likes it when everything is calm, unless it’s when I’m asleep, and then he just kicks the hell out of my stomach.

I passed her my empty bowl, thanking her for making me something to eat. She took it with a smile, waving me off.

“Hi Court, Anne.” My dad came into the kitchen, smiling at us. He kissed the top of my head, then walked over to Anne by the sink and kissed her cheek.

“Hi Dad.” I stood up, causing them both to look over at me. “I’m going to head to the library. I want to see Sharon and then I’m going to go see James and Jessica.” My dad nodded his head, telling me to be careful before grabbing a can of soda out of the fridge.

I left them in the kitchen, going back upstairs to my old room to change out of my pajamas.  I put some stretchy skinny jeans on, and a loose flowing top. I grabbed a pair of shoes from my bag, pulling them on before making my way back downstairs.

I grabbed my car keys off the hook beside the door, where I left them months ago, and headed out to my car. It was strange starting my car again, since I’ve not drove it in a while.  I reached back to grab my seat belt but stopped.

The house beside me came into my vision, the one place where those crazy friends I have, lived at. The house was still empty, the family before the boys moving in, owned it. I smiled at it, and because it held so many memories, I took a picture of it. I posted it to Twitter saying,

“@Court_Faith93: You know my brother’s always told me that this house was haunted, although I’d have to disagree with them.” After tweeting it, I tossed my phone in the passenger’s seat then started my way to the library.

The drive was easy, taking me less time than I expected. Once I was parked and heading inside, I reached for the door handle and froze. I haven’t told Sharon, or anyone here, that I was pregnant, although I’m sure everyone has heard.  I shook the nerves off, and headed through the back door.

I looked through the glass on the conference door and saw both Sharon and, the other librarian, Geraldine getting their coffee. I opened the door, catching their attention.