Chapter 10.

Ashton

"Ash!" Michael called from the kitchen, making me jump from the sudden change quietness. I paused the game I was playing, earning a groan from Luke who was playing as second player and got up.

"Yeah?" I said as I peeked my head around the corner into the kitchen. Michael stood looking out the small window, eyes fixed on whatever was happening at Courtney's house.

"You might want to see this mate." He said, not even looking at me. I stood beside him in just a few stride, looking out the window.

The sight I was witnessing made me freeze in my spot, a shot of ice going through my veins.

"I'm sorry Ashton, I thought you should see this." Calum said from beside Michael. It was the first time I noticed he was there. I didn't answer, instead I watched as Courtney got into a black car, a guy holding the passenger's side door open for her.

"I thought you said that her boyfriend cheated on her so she dumped him?" Calumet said, switching his view between me and her.

"She did." I said quietly, watching the guy shut the door. The ice turned to fire and made me feel anger. I hadn't expected the feeling, and was quite caught off guard by it.

The guy walked around the car and made it possible for us to see his face. Instantly I relaxed, the fire in my veins turning to normal. Michael gave me a pointed look, then shared a glance at Calum.

"Mate, you're smiling, I thought you liked her?" Calum asked, confused.

"I don't like her, she's a friend alright? Besides that guy's her older brother, Kyle. So it's nothing to worry about." Obviously I did kind of start liking her but I didn't want to say anything or have any of them know just yet. I saw Michael visibly relax as I said it was her brother making me stare questioningly at him.

"I really like her hair. It's pretty badass for her." He smiled running a hand through his own tousled black and purple hair. His comment filled me with annoyance. Although he had every right to, it still made my stomach knot up. Calum turned to Michael, staring at him.

"Mike, do you have a crush on our neighbor?" He asked, a smile playing along his lips.

Instantly Michael's cheeks turned red, signaling that he was embarrassed. That made me worry a bit, does he actually like her? I don't want to have a fight with my best friend over a girl. I would never want to do that to him.

"What? No I don't. Ash saw her first and it's against the bro code to take someone else's girl." He dismissed the accusation at once. I sighed, relief filling my body. Calum looked puzzled. I couldn't blame him since it was really hard to tell with the way both of us were acting if we are telling the truth.

"Okay then." Cal shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

At that moment Luke wandered in with the rest of us, phone in hand. We looked at him weird because he had a smile across his face.

"I was just asked to go to prom!"

Courtney

"Over here." Kyle said as he led me to the table that held the rest of my family. I took the empty seat beside Rachael, noticing that my dad kept his head down the whole time we were getting settled.

"We went ahead and order for you guys, hope chicken fettuccine is okay with you two?" Austin told us as the waiter came to our table and placed drinks in front of everyone.

"That's perfect." I said, realizing just how hungry I actually was. I had breakfast this morning and a few little things to eat but not something to fully satisfy my appetite.

The silence around us became a tense, awkward one in a matter of seconds. Everyone probably thought that I should be the one apologizing to my dad but it's not going to happen. He was the one who started the fight so he gets to apologize first. It's horrible to say that but I hold grudges for a long time. I just can't let things go.

When the food came we all ate and talked. I mostly talked to Rachael since she was sitting next to me.

"So who's your neighbor friend?" She asked, slicing pieces of her steak up.

At her question, I could feel more than just her eyes on me, waiting for my answer. That made me uncomfortable.

"Friend's actually. There's Ashton, Michael, Calum, and Luke, they're a band." I told her vaguely, knowing that my brother's and dad were listening since the whole table got quiet.

"How old are they?" She smiled coyly at me. That's when I knew what she was trying to do and let me tell you it isn't working.

"Ashton's nineteen, Michael and Calum are eighteen, and then Luke's seventeen." I told her, receiving a frown.

"That's a shame, you could get together with one of them, kind of like a bounce back from Blake." I chose to ignore the Blake remark. I didn't want a bounce back relationship from him. I highly doubted that I would get together with any of them. Not saying I do or don't like any of them more than a friend, it's just they have so much going on right now I wouldn't want to be a burden or get in the way of it.

I didn't answer her instead I shrugged my shoulders, letting a silence fall upon the two of us. I kept quiet for the rest of the dinner, only talking or nodding when someone asked me a question. When it was time to pay, I handed some money in, paying for my food, before telling everyone I was heading out to Kyle's car.

Being in there was too much for me to handle. I know Rachael was only looking out for my best interest but she should have asked that question at a different time not at the dinner we have for my mom. Or in front of our dad. He probably got annoyed with it as well.

Sighing, I looked out of the window noticing that Kyle and Austin were heading this way, talking animatedly. Rachael and my dad walked out a few moments later.

As they chatted outside the car, I checked my phone, remembering that I had texted Luke earlier asking him about going to prom with Jessica. I opened up his message from earlier, not being able to answer it.

Sure, can we talk more about it tomorrow though? I'm gonna go play some Fifa.

I sent him a message saying he had better of won a game for me before putting my phone up. The driver's side door opened and Kyle climbed in. He glanced at me before sighing and starting the car. I thought for a second.

"Can we go see it?" I asked quietly, my voice going really soft.

"Are you sure Court?" I nodded my head, knowing that if I would open my mouth then I would say something different.

Kyle complied, turning off onto the dirt road that led to my mom.

//Edited on 10/25/2019// Edited again on 5/3/21 //

Guess who has another update coming soon?! THIS GIRL! I was originally going to make it just one whole chapter but i didn't want you to get bored halfway through. :) I do hope you like this even though I think it's rubbish! (I should have made it just one chapter)

-Stay beautiful

Courtney S