Chapter 9.

Courtney

As I walked through the house door my dad was pacing about in the living room. He looked up, grimacing as he saw me. Well hello to you to father. I shut the door, taking my shoes off on the mat beside it. I could already tell this was going to be a fun evening if this is how I get greeted.

"What'd you do to your hair?" He asked, a hint of annoyance in his voice.

Shit, I totally forgot to tell him that I was doing that this morning. Usually he doesn't mind, because he doesn't see it but I guess the stress of today and everything is making him snap at everything.

"I just wanted something different than what I had." I shrugged it off, hoping he'd leave it alone. Of course he wouldn't, though.

"What am I going to do with you? Ever since your mom died you've rebelled against everyone. You have tattoos, piercings, and now dying your hair obscene colors. When are you going to grow up and act your age?" I furrowed my eyebrows at him.

He's never been this blunt or rude about what I do.

"What are you talking about? I'm a twenty year old that has a job and I take care of myself. If you want I can be like most of the twenty year old's around here who are pregnant, doing drugs, or being arrested? Which on would you like me to do first?"

I smarted him back, knowing that it probably wouldn't end well but I didn't care about that. By this time Kyle and Austin made their appearance at the end of the stairs, watching us intently. My dad snorted and rolled his eyes, making me immediately know where I got that from.

"Take care of yourself? You still live at home for Christ sake's."

"What's your problem? I walked through the door and you start bitching me out. For what? Dying my hair. It'll grow and wash out and my tattoos don't even yell at me for them when you have some of your own as well as Austin and Kyle. This double standard shit doesn't play well with me dad, so just drop it. If I want to dye my hair or get a new tattoo or piercing then I will. I work and ear my money to pay for it. I'm old enough to do whatever the hell I want to do." By this time Kyle had come over beside me, Austin the same with my dad.

I could see Austin coaxing dad into the kitchen but he wasn't having it.

"You still live under my roof so you won't be doing what you want." He said before Austin pushed him, roughly, backwards into the kitchen.

"Guess I'll move the fuck out then." I bitched, hoping that he had heard. Kyle's gaze met mine. He started to say something, and I'm pretty sure it would be about how dad is over reacting and he's just stressed out about this time of the year but I didn't want to hear it.

"I'm getting dressed." I told him, ignoring the stare he was giving me as I headed up to my room.

"You're riding with me." Kyle said, coming into my room. I picked up my bottle of perfume, getting ready to spray some on myself.

"Okay?" I said more like a question. I figured I was taking my own car but whatever it saves me some gas. Kyle didn't elaborate too much on me riding with him and I really didn't ask much about it either.

"Don't spray too much of that, I don't want my car to smell like a girl" He said teasingly, walking out the door. I set the bottle down on my stand and acted like I was chasing him. Satisfyingly, I heard his feet stomping down the stairs in a hurry. Scared-y cat. Chuckling to myself, I spritzed a little bit of the perfume on before grabbing a jacket and heading downstairs, meeting my brother at the end of the steps.

"I told you not to spray too much now you smell like a girly girl!" I laughed and gave him a roll of the eyes as he groaned.

"Shut it Kyle." I punched his arm, not too lightly either.

He clutched where I just hit him and moaned. "No rings!" I looked at my hand just realizing that I had hit him with my ring on.

"Oops?" I laughed guiltily. He shook his head as he rubbed his arm, muttering something under his breath.

"Come on, we better get going. Dad, Kyle, and Rachael all left a little bit ago." I stopped and looked at him.

"Why couldn't I drive myself?" I asked. He shook his head. I kind of had a feeling it was because my dad did something to my car, like took a part off or something so it couldn't run correctly. As weird as that sounds, he actually has done that before just not to me. Austin did something in his teenage years that pissed my dad off so the next morning when Austin got up to head to school, his truck wouldn't start. Later in the week my dad gave the part back to him and told Austin he had to fix it. Needless to say it was a week filled with fighting.

"Austin asked me to take you, he didn't want you driving tonight because it's raining and supposed to get really foggy tonight." Ah, so that's why he said he was taking me, because Austin made him.

I didn't say anything about him taking me, not really caring about it anymore, as Kyle led me out to his black Dodge Challenger. The only reason I knew what kind of car it is, is because when he first got it that's all I heard. Like me, he's very protective of his car, although he likes showing it off as well. Showing off how fast it can go is more like what he does. Kyle opened the door for me, holding it open like a gentleman. As I got in I told him thank you. He shut the door and walked around the other side of the car, climbing into the driver's seat. I fixed the skirt of my dress, as it was bundled up in uncomfortable places before putting on my seat belt.

I had a feeling, not just because of my dad and I's little argument, that tonight wasn't going to go well.

//Edited on 10/25/2019// Edited again on 5/2/21 //

Short Little Chapter Just To Say Happy Easter! :) Hope You Get Lots Of Chocolate's And Presents And Whatever, That's If You Celebrate It Still. No Long Author's Note. Ashton's In The Next Chapter. Picture is of her dress that she's wearing during the dinner.

Happy Easter, Stay Beautiful.

Courtney S