3.

unedited.

+pleasevoteandshare

***

"Alice?"

Her body froze at the familiar boyish voice that uttered her birth name.

She turned to the voice and gasped. She didn't want to see him again..

"K-Kaname?"

There he was, standing before her, dressed in a white button-up shirt, black pants and a coat with a light shade of purple worn over. His long hair was still messy as ever as they curled at the ends and got in the way of his ruby, gentle eyes.

He was still standing on the porch, fortunately for her, and they were a distant apart from each other. They moment their eyes met, Emiko's body started shaking. She nervously stepped back to widen the distance and dropped her hand from the sky, bringing it closer to her chest instead. Her breathing was ragged as the air condenses.

"What are you doing out here in this whether?" He questioned, with his calm and gentle voice.

She didn't know how to reply, her fear took over. It was no doubt Emiko is afraid of Kaname. After witnessing something she shouldn't have seen she could no longer stand to be near Kaname without her body shaking and her dead heart beating rapidly. She looked down to the snow covered pavement, her bare feet buried into the snow almost swallowing her up. She was too scared to look at him in the eye.

Kaname exhaled and walked off of the porch smoothly. He slowly made his way towards her, and stopped only at an arms-length distant as he towered over her. He watched her small body shaking and her eyes now squeezed shut. His gentle eyes were filled with guilt.

He regretted going off without double checking his senses if anyone had been following him and finished his job in an instant. What she didn't know was that he did it so he could protect her as well as Yuki. Now, his actions caused fear in her thinking that if he touched her she would start crying. She is fragile indeed. 

When he raised his hand towards her she whimpered. This made him more sad to see her this way, but it also gave him motivation. He grabbed her arm as gently as possible and pulled her into his abdomen, embracing her. She started to squirm, her small arms trying to pushing him away and hitting him but he didn't care, he still held her. Eventually as time passed and as more snow built up on the pavement, Emiko stopped fighting. His lips graced with a smile.

He slowly let go of her as she tilted her head up to look at him. Her chubby cheeks red and her eyelashes had small droplets of water on them; her tears.

"W-Welcome home." She hiccuped, making him place his hand on her head and stroke it to comfort her.

***

"Kaname-nii! Where'd you g--" Yuki's words paused as she looked at the sleeping figure in her brother's arms. Yuki's eyes met with his and she pouted. "I'll be quiet." 

She watched as he placed her twin sister on to the couch and a blanket over her. In her hands, she held a book. Yuki lifted up the book and pointed to it. His eyes softened and he placed his hand on top of her head, ruffling her hair.

"Alright, alright. I'll read you a story after I talk to Haruka-sama and Juri-sama, okay?" 

She nodded and smiled widely, feeling excited.

Before he turned to leave, he questioned Yuki, "Do they still.." He trailed off. She looked away from her book to meet his eyes and she nodded. A pair of rubies saddened. "I see."

As he thought, Haruka and Juri still treat Alice the same the year before, and the year before and the year before. Nothing changed after he left, his hopes were now crushed. He understands from their perspective, their past, and what caused them to turn their backs on the child, he was there when Alice opened her eyes. But, from his own perspective, it wasn't right failing to take care of someone that shared nothing but only the blood of their enemy. 

Kaname sighed and turned away. He headed upstairs and with every step the stairs would creak. When he finally made it to the top he stopped himself moving any further. Their office was at the end of the corridor. 

If he wanted a better life for someone he loved, he had to speak with them properly. He should have done this sooner. He thought gradually through time they would understand and love Alice but knowing they weren't going to do such things made he grow tired of it. For the sake of Alice, he has had enough.

He found himself standing in front of the wooden door. Just as he was about to knock, the door flew open and he found Haruka staring back at him. It wasn't a surprise that Haruka had sensed him in front of the door, they were all Purebloods after all.

Haruka was standing in front of a large window and Juri was sitting on a loveseat with a thick book in her hands.

He stepped in slowly, guessing that Haruka and Juri knew what he wanted to discuss about.

"Kaname, you don't know how many times I tried. Every time I look at her, reminds me of Rido. I've tried countless of times to pretend that the past wasn't the past and tried thinking the child was my own but it was driving me to the edge." Juri spoke up first, her eyes pleading to me.

"It's no lie that we love Alice, but showing her that would only cause more pain for us. It isn't just about Rido or her mismatched eyes. We've lost our child to someone we used to have in our hearts. Showing her love and having her show it to us reminds us of our first child. We don't want to lose anyone again nor feel the pain of loss." Haruka added.

"But she's your responsibility, is she not?" Kaname spoke with authority, his other side showing as the Head of the Kuran Family and as an ancestor. "You made the choice to take her in as infant and now you are neglecting your duties as a parent? I am very disappointed."

"Kaname-sama.." Juri whispered, her eyes held shock as she slowly closed her book.

"That child is very well your own responsibility, I have no doubt that you acknowledge this well. The only enemy here is Rido, not her. His words or actions have nothing to do with Alice, they are two completely different beings. You've left a shell. Instead of just burying yourselves in the past, should you have known this child yearns to escape this prison she calls home?"

Their eyes widen at the last sentence. After a few moments of processing Kaname's words, Juri's eyes begin to water. Haruka was left, speechless. Juri placed her hands in front of her mouth and covered it as endless tears poured from her eyes. Endless pangs in their dead hearts.

We didn't know. After hearing Juri and Haruka's thoughts, Kaname snapped backed to his senses. He was about to add something else but he drew back.

Maybe he spoke too much, yes, but by the end of the day they finally understand. 

***

Twin sister  Yuki, as a child, does not see any difference between the appearance of Alice and her own. She also does not know that Alice is actually her cousin. 

"Kaname-sama"  The reason Juri referred to him as this is because she and Haruka had almost forgotten they he was their ancestor, not their birth child, someone who had been awakened to take the place of their dead son so therefore had called him Kaname instead of Kaname-sama before.

Alice/Emiko  The name of Emiko changes to Alice because of the second half of this chapter was in Kaname's point of view. He only knows her by one name and that is Alice, her birth name, therefore refers to her as only that.