5.

unedited.

+pleasevoteandshare

***

The crying session had finished. Tears had now disappeared from their eyes only leaving back wet trails down their cheeks. The aches from their chest had finally stopped, the heavy weights on their shoulders were lifted. Emiko felt like it would be possible for her to finally be able to breathe again. It was as if she had been holding in her breath the whole time, but when she let it go she was relieved.

Little to her knowledge, Kaname had been watching her the whole time as she cried with Haruka. He was surprised she was already out of her bed so went to look for her. No time was wasted as he found her in the Kitchen area standing in front of Haruka. He debated whether or not he should step in, but he decided not and wanted to see how things went.

He was happy to see his words had an effect on Haruka.

After having the ability to let everything out, Kaname followed the two around, making sure to mask his presence and stay hidden in the shadows. His eyes softened and his lips formed a smile, glad to see that the father figure and daughter were now conversing normally to each other. They were standing in front of their manor and Alice was assisting Haruka shovel some snow away from the pavement to make way for some walking area.

The sun was quite bright today, nothing like two days ago. Piled snow on random places around the Manor were still visible as it being winter season the sun was not as hot, it just gave a little warmth.

Kaname watched as Alice slipped and fell onto the pile of snow with her face first. Haruka helped her up and patted away the snow on her clothes. He then picked up his shovel and dug up the snow, putting it to the side. Alice, who was too weak to handle the shovel, gathered the small piles of snow Haruka missed and dropped it to the side.

"Papa, what are you doing?" A squeaky voice questioned.

Kaname looked over to see Yuki running towards the two. Haruka continued to shovel as he answered her, suggesting that she should help out too. Yuki grinned widely and ran over to hold Alice's hand.

"Let's do this together, sister!" She exclaimed. Alice's eyes widened as Yuki dragged her to the next pile. Together they picked up the snow and placed it to the side. Kaname noticed Alice had been smiling the whole time as she picked up the piles of snow with Yuki, he found it pleasant. 

After so long, she's finally smiling. You're feeling happy now, aren't you Alice? He thought to himself.

They all looked like they were having much fun. He watched over them from the distance, quietly observing but smiling along with them. They were almost halfway done, either time had gone by too quickly or their team work had passed time. 

Yuki decided to lie on the snow-covered floor on her back and made a snow angel and encouraged Alice to do the same. At first, Alice was a bit hesitant, but she too lie on her back to copy Yuki's movements. Yuki's laugh was contagious as Alice laughed as well. Haruka, who had been shovelling the whole time, laughed along with the two young girls.

This lasted for a while until it was interrupted by Juri who was standing on the porch with a large scarf around her neck. She was resting in her room when she heard laughter outside so she felt a bit curious. When she was outside, she saw Haruka laughing along with Yuki and much to her surprise along with Alice as well.

The heart-warming laughter slowly vanished when they noticed she was watching them. Alice immediately felt a bit nervous, hesitant now to laugh. She quickly got up from her creation of the snow angel and dusted off the snow from her clothing.

"Would you like to join us?" Haruka asked despite sensing Alice was tense.

Juri's eyes looked at each person individually. From her husband's tall figure to Yuki's smaller one and then to finally Alice. Alice's mismatched eyes made contact with hers.

"Your blood is delicious, Juri." Rido's voice and words echoed in her mind. They were repetitive and echoed every second.

Juri's heart almost dropped but she shook it away, remembering the lecture Kaname had given her yesterday. If it were possible, would it be alright to accept the child now? Would it be okay? Juri understood now, it was not the child's fault and needed to keep reminding herself that they were two different beings.

"Your blood is delicious, Juri."

With these words echoing in her head, Juri was forced to look at Alice. That child.. but that child.. her eyes--

"You made the choice to take her in as infant and now you are neglecting your duties as a parent?"

Unexpectedly the voice went away and was replaced with Kaname's voice. She looked away from Alice, but then looked back at her again. She noticed Alice's mood had gone down. The bright light was now dim. Was it because of her? She quietly observed the girl. Other than the mismatched eyes, she did not resemble Rido at all. 

"You've left a shell."  He was right. She left a shell in her, didn't she? How could she not see this before. 

"His words or actions have nothing to do with Alice, they are two completely different beings."  He was right again. They are two different beings. How could she fuse them together like that?

 In front of her, a few distances away, stood not a man but a young girl with innocence radiating off of her. Her short platinum hair reminded her of snow. Her pink cheeks reminded her of peaches and her small body was a reminder that she was a small defenceless child.

She made a mistake. 

They witnessed her destruction,

Then were left to wonder why,

She saw nothing but darkness,

Though the stars shone in her eyes,

But maybe they'd forgotten,

When they failed to see the cracks,

That a star's light shines the brightest,

When it's starting to collapse.

~e.h