32.

unedited.

Please play the song. This an Anohana music collection I found on Youtube by AnimeTwins.

- warning, short chapter.

***

As the beautiful sound of the piano started playing, Emiko found herself remembering Zero's words. As they repeated in her head she couldn't help but blush several times at random times of the night. Whatever he said always seemed to make her go scarlet red, she was sure of her feelings now.

She currently stood next to Kaname's tall figure as he spoke to Takuma but she didn't bother that much to rudely listen into their conversation so she didn't know what they were talking about however all she knew was that her eyes were wondering around trying to find that silver-haired male that had complimented her. An hour had already passed and he was nowhere to be found. During the time, Emiko made sure to wish Takuma a happy birthday and enjoyed her surroundings, socialising and even snaked on the finger foods.

"Emiko-nee-san!" A familiar voice called out to her, making her turn her head as she halted herself from reaching for the glass of water that she planned to sneak a blood tablet in.

Dashing towards her was a short-haired girl with two small buns at the sides of her head and dressed in a black dress with a lace choker. On her left arm, she had a white sash with a sign sewed on it indicating a Prefect. "You're so pretty, I almost didn't recognise you, Nee-san!" Yuki complimented.

Emiko suddenly felt nervous and forced a smile upon her lips just as the human girl made her way to her. Her pale hands were immediately pulled into Yuki's own as she was blinded by her sisters bright, innocent smile. Sometimes she envied her smile, it was gift that she was given at birth. With the ability to smile in such a carefree way wasn't a trait Emiko had, which made the distance between her and Yuki quite large.

Warmth radiated from Yuki's body onto hers and she sighed softly. As if her sisterly instincts kicked in, Emiko warned her, "What did I tell you about running around?--" She then looked at Yuki's black heels to see that she was struggling to stand with them on, "Especially with heels too!"

Yuki giggled and swung her sister's hands back and forth as she sulked, "Geeeeez! I'm not a kid anymore. Besides, I've already got someone who can help me stand back up if I happen to fall."

Her reply made Emiko raised her eyebrows and just as she was about to as who, Yuki had unlatched her hands from Emiko and ran passed her as if she was a distracted little child who found just found her Christmas presents at a window of a shop.

The Pureblood huffed when she saw that Yuki had gotten away without having a chance to say goodbye. The girl, unlike her, was quite a wild child and does as she pleases. This is what she gets for spoiling Yuki too much as children.

When Emiko followed Yuki with her eyes, she watched as the human girl came to a halt. A question mark appeared in her mind, asking why she had stopped so suddenly in her mid-run. Emiko tilted her head to the side just as one of the Night Class students got in the way of her view, but when she finally moved to the side where she could see her eyes practically widen and felt her heart leap out of her chest.

All the good memories of her spending time with Yuki as a child completely tarnished. Emiko quickly did a 180 turn and swallowed deeply. She didn't know what to feel anymore. One moment she's happy, one moment she's sad; she's already had enough of these bipolar emotions that can't make up their mind. It's tearing her apart.

"Excuse me," She muttered to the two gentleman a few steps from her. Kaname and Takuma turned to look at her but she was already on her way, slowing disappearing through the crowds of bodies.

She was still in the state of shock. What was she supposed to feel? She asked herself as she stepped passed several figures in a series to dodge from bumping into them. Was she supposed to feel happy? Then why wasn't she?

'You look beautiful, Emiko.' He said.

Even though she knew he was going to come to the party, she spent two hours perfecting every inch of her clothing and her hair. Two hours gone to waste for perfecting herself for someone who wasn't going to be by her side and instead found them locking lips with another. To think she went all out in a desperate need of just one compliment from him when he could have already been showering her rival with many, many compliments.

Just as these thoughts ran through her head, Emiko bumped into a masculine figure which made her look up to apologise, however the moment she did all she received back was a surprised expression coming from Aido. She didn't know why he was looking at her like that, but she had to get away.

Get away before she breaks.

Aido's hand reached for her, wrapping his fingers around her wrist to stop her from moving as he questioned her, "Milady?"

She shook her head furiously, she couldn't push out the words that choked her just as a rising pain bubbled in her throat. She turned her head once she heard the sound of footsteps hurriedly getting closer to her and for the second time today she locked eyes with a pair of lilacs that she now dreaded to see. 

Yanking her wrist away from Aido's gentle grasp, she pushed herself away from him and ran off into the distance.

Today, her forest is dark. The trees are sad and all the butterflies have broken wings.