23.

unedited.

+pleasevoteandcomment.

p.s Please check out my Kamisama Kiss/Hajimemashita fanfic!

p.p.s You'll find some similar things in this chapter from my old book;) Please play the song! Also, I think I will update every Saturday each week. I'm been busy with school so that will be my schedule.

***

When Alice was a child, every time she would approach her 'parents' they would often shun her away and tell her to leave. Growing up Alice never understood why they disliked her so much. She hated the look on their faces every single time she glanced over to them because all she could see was disappointment. Every now and then, she envied Yuki. Why did she get to hog all of their affection? Why didn't she get a look of disappointment from them? It wasn't fair for Alice.

There was a day when Emiko was sitting by herself in her room, re-reading a book based on her favourite fairy tale, Cinderella. It was the same book that Juri refused to read to her.

It was then when she suddenly heard laughter outside. She lowered her book and turned to look out the window and there she spotted both Kuran parents, Juri and Haruka, with their child, Yuki. Haruka was rolling a huge snow ball along with Yuki while Juri watched them quietly from the side, her eyes filled with much love that should have been halved for Alice too but unfortunately it wasn't. Not now,

Not ever.

"Mama, look! Me and Papa are building a snow man!" Yuki asked, looking up at her mother.

Haruka laughed at his daughter's adorableness while Juri replied, "You're doing a very good job there, Yuki."

Yuki nodded and bobbed down to gather some snow while juri went back in to make cups of hot chocolate. Emiko stared at them through the window, sadness filled her and her eyes began to water and she threw her book across the room. Droplets of water plopped down on the bed, leaving small damp spots on the sheets. She slammed shut the window and inched away from the window. She then cuddled herself against two pillows that had drawn on faces with a black marker. Above the faces she had labelled their names in messy writing.

That night she cried herself to sleep with the book lying on the floor opened to a page that showed Cinderella, too, was crying.

"Emi.."

Emiko could hear her eyes moving rapidly from under her closed lids. Her fingers twitched.

"--ko."

Someone was calling her. They were trying to wake her from her slumber but she denied it. She just wanted to sleep forever, she didn't want to wake up to find herself remembering all the memories and feelings that just made her feel bad than she already was.

Wouldn't it be great if she just slept forever? Because then she would finally be able to leave the prison and she would be free to do as she pleases if she walked over to the other side. Wouldn't it be great? Wouldn't it? Wouldn't it?

Wouldn't--

"Thank you, Emiko." Another memory reoccurred once again. This time, she could be able to hear a familiar voice. The one voice she loves with all her heart.

No.. stop. Don't make me listen..

"Thank me for what, Zero?" She asked curiously, swinging her legs back and forth as she looked up to the beautiful bright sun that was setting.

"I never really got to thank you."  He replied, staring at side angle of her face. "I never really got to thank you for the things you did for me. Even at the times where I became frustrated with how my life turned out to be I wounded you by saying hurtful things to you, you didn't retort. You just sit there and endure it but I know that in your heart, as much as you hide it as if it doesn't affect to you, I've cut a wound."

Please stop it.. no more..

"I'm sorry for the things I said, but I thank you for enduring it. Honestly, I can't really imagine what my life would be without you."

Emiko giggled at the last line, "You're being cheesy, Zero."

But soon Emiko's giggles died down when she realised Zero was being serious. She swallowed and stopped swinging her legs, all was silent.

" ..You wouldn't go anywhere would you?" Zero asked, breaking the silence.

I don't want to listen.. 

"Of course not!" Emiko replied, huffing at his question. Of course she wouldn't leave without him, how could he even ask such a question?

"You wouldn't abandon me, right?"

No. I want to leave already..

"I wouldn't!"

"You wouldn't leave me behind, would you?"

But..

"Nooooopeee~"

"So then promise me." Zero's hands balled tightly in his lap. He stared at her directly in the eyes, showing her that he was completely serious.

Emiko's playful smile dropped for a moment, but it was quickly replaced with a proper smile. She felt the sun's light on her face that was no longer warm as it was setting.

"I promise, Zero." She stated, holding out her pinky and linking it with his. 

I promised him.

"..Emiko."

At the sound of her name, Emiko's eye lids flung open immediately as if it was a wake up call. She first saw the white ceiling and the light bulb high above her. She then slowly turned her head to see silver hair right beside her hand. She then noticed two pale of hands entwined. One hand was hers, one hand was his.

Emiko's eyes softened when she saw that it was Zero who was fast sleep with his head on her bed and his hands wrapped around hers tightly. Small fragments of memory came back to her. The last thing she remembered was having a reoccurring memory knock her lights out so for the outcome she assumed Zero had heard she collapsed and came here. She didn't know how he got here, but she supposed he had gotten permission from the Headmaster to enter the Night Dorms.

"Emiko.." Zero mumbled, tightening their entwined hands. 

Now she understood. He was calling to her while he was asleep and it was loud enough to pull her back from the pits filled with darkness. Emiko smiled softly, and sat up slowly, trying not to wake him. She the placed her spare hand on his hair and stroked his head lovingly with his silver hair softly gliding through her fingers. She then lightly touched his facial features from his eyelids to his nose to his lips. Her cheeks grew warm when she felt the softness of his lips. She then flinched and pulled her hand away, and placed it on her heart instead.

Her heart was beating rapidly. What was this feeling?