Cages

//S

Penguin takes out a key with a handle in the shape of a bird's head. He unlocks the door and slowly pushes it open as it creaks. One of the body guards step inside and held the door wide open while the others pushed me forward into the dark, musty room. Penguin steps in last and one of the guards closes the doors. The lights flip on going one by one down the long storage room. 

My hands break into a cold sweat as I close them into fists trying to control my anger. I look around and find myself standing in front of a long hallway filled with birds. Each one held in a decorated, labeled cage placed neatly on a marble pedestal. In each of those fancy cages is a beautiful bird that could barely spread their wings. Each bird was so colorful each with bright feathers in all shapes and sizes. The creepy thing was that none of the birds made a sound. Not one peep. A guard pushed me forward, forcing me to walk. 

"You see, each and everyone of these birds is special. Each one has it's own unique features making it beautiful. People just can't see that I too am unique, with my weird waddle and oddly shaped nose. They can't see that I am just different in a beautiful way" Penguin lectures.

While Penguin babbles on I read each label on the silent birds' cages. Having your care taker be a bird fanatic, you learn a lot about each species. Even with all my knowledge on rare and extinct birds, some of the labels spoke of species I had never even heard of.

"So how is locking them up and keeping them quiet is supposed to allow them to be free? Don't you want them to be beautiful and sing their own unique song?" I cut in trying to reason with a mad man.

"Silence, you didn't let me finish! I wanted you to see that no matter what type of bird they are, they can all be silenced. I can control their power and beauty no matter how strong or big. I have control, and the same goes for you. I want this to be a reminder to you that no matter how strong you think you are, I will always be able to control you" Penguin threatened. 

We kept walking down the long hallway until we reached the end. There was a huge bird cage pushed up against the wall. I looked for the bird inside, but the cage was empty. My eyes widened and I turned around to run, but the guards blocked my way. I kicked one in the stomach with the heel of my foot. When he doubled over from the hit I elbowed he back of his neck slamming his face into the ground. I jumped over the fallen guard and booked it. 

I didn't get far when another grabbed the collar of my shirt from behind. He pulled me back and before I could turn around he slammed my back against a few metal bars. My head felt dazed as I heard a slam and a lock click. I looked around, but all I saw were silver bars surrounding me and then everything went black.

//

Updating these chapters, getting rid of any typo's, grammar errors, and trying to diversify my writing. Wrote this maybe one or two years ago? My writing knowledge has changed since then, and I wanted to show it in my writing on my originals.

~KO

//