Training

//S

"Rise and shine." said a voice.

I started to open my eyes and allowed them to adjust to the dim light in the hallway. There was Penguin with a top hat and a black umbrella, his usual attire. I sat up on the mattress and looked at the open cage door. 

"What kind of game are you playing, because I don't find it very funny." I said bluntly.

"The hallway has running water in that room. So go take a shower, and I will move all of you stuff into the cage." he replied simply.

I would like to think that Penguin has a heart somewhere, I really would. Penguin was the smartest person I knew so there was obviously a catch to all of this. He wouldn't just let me roam the hallway, would he?

"The hallway door will always be locked unless you get my permission to go out. I am giving you all the space you will need to train. I also expect you to care for the birds so that they can get used to you. If you decide to break out, because I'm sure you can, you will start to lose privileges. If I were you I would heed my warning." Penguin advised.

Privileges? I think I could live without a few 'privileges', all I knew was that I was breaking out.

"What about my job in the lounge?" I questioned.

"You will still work late night weekends, but you are exempt from all other working hours. Consider your training as another part time job. You will walk to Gotham Academy your new high school. You must walk right back home and are only allowed to hang out with others with my permission in order to lower suspicions. You will not tell anyone about the Ice Lounge or your training. I think you can guess what would happen to the person you told." he lectured and raised a brow.

"Now, take a shower and get ready for training." he ordered.

He threw me a few pairs of clothes including white long sleeved shirts and white capris. 

"These are your training clothes now go." he commanded.

He left the hallway and locked the door behind him. I grabbed a pair of training clothes and ran to the shower. It felt great to be clean and in new clothes that actually fit. The uniform was soft, stretchy, warm, and tight fitted. I have never owned such nice clothes in my entire life. I walked back to into the hallway and saw Penguin had moved all my stuff into the cage. He also moved some of the birds to make a clearing in the middle of the wide hallway and placed a mat there. 

"Today we are just going to see what you know already." Penguin explained.

 A few body guards stepped onto the mat. Why were they wearing their usual suits? Weren't we sparring? One of the guards pulled out a BB gun from his suit pocket. Oh, well now I get it. I'm screwed.

"You're suit is bullet proof, so the BB pellets won't penetrate your skin, but I can't say it won't hurt. Real bullets will be slowed, but still break the fabric. That's why you need to still be careful on missions." he explained. 

Dang, these were the best clothes I have ever owned! My optimism was quickly lost when the BB pellets came flying at me. I managed to dodge a few by ducking and sliding this way and that, but a few hit me in the shoulder. I clenched my jaw in pain. Penguin was right, they didn't break the fabric, but they sure as hell hurt. 

"You were obviously trained in hand to hand combat so we should start with that. You were never taught to avoid gunfire. Don't worry you will learn with time." Penguin tried to soothe.

One of the body guards came running at me. The bigger they are... I moved to the left and tripped him with my right foot... the harder they fall. He fell face first into the mat and groaned. Penguin then pointed his commanding finger at me and another body guard came charging at me. I debated on what I could do. 

Gordon taught me to stop and think, even if it feels like there is no time. He was too tall for me to land any punches on his face, so I went for his stomach. I landed a hard punch right to his gut and he groaned, but held his ground. He threw a few punches at my head, while I ducked struggling to avoid his huge fists. I got may chance when both his arms were up and kicked him hard in the stomach. This time he bent over and held his stomach in pain. 

I took my chance a took a good swing at his jaw. He lost his balance as another guard came after me. I shoved the off balance guard into the charging one knocking them both off their feet. I turned around only to find the first body guard and a new one behind me. Before I could turn around they grabbed me and with the help of the fourth body guard they pinned me to the ground. 

We continued to practiced all day until I could at least take down 4 guys at once. Penguin looked pleased by my progress as he watched from the sidelines.

"Enough!" Penguin yelled. 

The guards immediately stopped fighting and walked off the mat. I slowly sat up with a small headache from them one of them punching me in the temple. 

"I have to say Kayo, you did better than I expected." he said pleased. He gave me a fish sandwich for lunch and had me sit down on the bench set up next to the mat.

"Happy I met your expectations." I growled.

"Take this," he snapped his fingers again, "you'll need it for cover since your training clothes are white. Now rest up for your pickup tonight." he said.

A guard produced a pair of over-the-elbow, black gloves. They were reinforced with a steel alloy around my knuckles to make sure my punches left a mark. The guard also presented a pair of over-the-knee, black boots. The two inch wedge was made of solid steel. The bottom and toe of my boots were coated with steel. My kicks could do some serious damage to an attacker... they were perfect! 

Finally, I was given a black cloak that was about knee length. Instead of being tied around my neck it was fastened with velcro, so that I couldn't be choked by it. It was made of a surprisingly lightweight silk with a hood to cover my face.

I ran to the small bathroom attachment as Penguin and his bodyguards walked out of the hallways. I slipped on the reinforced boots and gloves while marveling at their beauty. They were amazing, but nothing compared to the silk cloak. Everything was so comfortable, even the steel reinforced gloves. 

Maybe I could stay a little longer and watch Thorne's shipment come in. No, Penguin said to come right back, but what he does't know won't kill him right? It would be good training, I will just tell him the shipment was a little late. 'Fine', I said finally talking myself into it. I would only stay for a little bit to watch. I walked back to my cage like a dog held by an invisible chain and fell asleep, tired from all the training.

//

First mission, well sort of. Can you guess what's going to happen next, because I think you'll be surprised. 

-Evil smile :) -

~KO

//