Slide On Em

10+ comments = update

Chase

"How's this?" Kobi asked. He was one of my new students this school year.

I'd been teaching freshmen at Grady High School for the past two years and the head of the new design club for the past year, where students expressed their ideas into sketches of clothes, shoes, etcetera.

"This is amazing Kobi," I complimented, looking over the strong detail of the shoe he drew. "You have real talent, and if you want to design shoes, you should definitely follow your dream."

"Thanks. If I decide I want to, my dad's got me." he shrugged.

I mentally rolled my eyes. Half the kids here had it made with well off parents and were just plain spoiled. I remember when that used to be me but once I turned 18, it was cut and I was forced out on my own.

After drawing a few sketches of my own, 4:30 came quick and it was time for the kids to be picked up.

We only met on Wednesdays and Fridays and I was thanking god it was Friday because I was exhausted.

I followed the kids outside into the car rider lane and damn near fell out from the heat. It just turned September but this 85 degrees was no joke.

I watched as the group of a few less than thirty kids slowly started to file out as their parents or whoever picked them up, until it got down to one left and it was Kobi.

"Kobi, what's going on?" I asked.

I'd never seen his mother's face but he was usually the first to leave every time for the past two weeks.

"Oh, my dads picking me up this time."

I checked my watch for the time and it was 5:08, and I huffed, slowly catching an attitude because Cali told me to be ready by 9:30 for something her boo is supposed to make an appearance at.

But knowing me, I take forever to get ready and I wanted to get my nails and feet done before I got ready to go out.

A few minutes went by and a black on black Maserati pulled into the empty lane and Kobi got up from the bench, adjusting his book bag on his shoulder, heading to the car.

"Excuse me!" I waved, walking over to the car as soon as Kobi shut the door.

The tinted window slowly rolled down and I crouched to see the face of the culprit.

I mentally jumped back but physically kept my composure, surprised to see Future. He took off his sunglasses, sitting back in his seat as if he didn't see what the problem was.

"What's the issue?" he asked, and I quickly tilted my head to the side.

"The issue is you picking your son up 45 minutes late. The pick up time is 4:30 and you should abide by that. Advisors, like myself, have other things to do."

"Well Ms.-"

"Carter," Kobi told him.

"Carter... you're a teacher. What you got to do? Grade papers?" he chuckled.

"Well Mr. Hendrix," I put air quotes on the last name I knew wasn't his government. "I have a life outside of here, and his mother signed the contract that said he'd be picked up at 4:30 so pick him up at 4:30. Have a good day."

I smiled sweetly and he licked his lips, shaking his head before slipping back on his shades, and shifting the gear into drive.