Doing what's Right

I woke up around 2:00 in the afternoon. Hang-over still at bay but I felt a lot better than few hours ago. Upon checking my phone, few messages have been flashing and is asking to be responded, but my best-friend Lara's stood out. I totally forgot that she's arriving today from New Zealand, where she's studying her Master's Degree in Cultural Studies. I was supposed to pick her up at the airport like 10 minutes ago!

I called her in a hurry.

"Babe?"

"WHERE ARE YOU?" all caps for my ears because she sounded too annoyed already.

"Be there in 10 minutes, promise!" I committed.

"Well, be sure about that because I might just end up giving all the stuffs I bought for you to this weird girl beside me. She might as well be my new babe"

"You won't dare!"

"Try me."

Yikes! Now that Lara's back in town I have zero reason to spend nights alone and resort to Chris' offer of company. Right? I'm too excited to see her.

I jumped into the shower and took the shortest shower ever in history and is on my baby-tee and mini-skirt in no time. I grabbed my wallet and keys then left.

I'm approaching the airport already when I realized that I forgot my cellphone. I don't suppose to be needing it anyway.

Upon reaching the arrival lane Lara's on her black sundress and red boots. Oh my high fashion best friend is back! She's seated next to a girl wearing a weird looking flowery dress with matching large headband. Now I know why.

She's annoyed as hell, but upon seeing me she lighted up. We hugged, stashed all her luggage on my car and left in a hurry.

"How was your trip?" I asked

"Fine. Apparently no handsome man is in the cabin." She absentmindedly responded while placing her high-heeled boots on my lap.

"I'm driving, remember?"

"Yeah?!"

"You're feet please?"

"I love you!"

"I love you too!"

Now things should be alright with the world.

"I'm starving, can we drop by Jolly's? I miss their pizza and sinful lasagna." Lara casually asked while scanning her phone.

Upon hearing food my stomach suddenly growled. I haven't eaten anything the entire day as well. But Jolly's? Ugh! Our town seems too small now that everyone I know just love to eat Jolly's.

We sat down at Jolly's and start our long conversation. This is my favorite thing about Lara, I can talk to her about anything and she'll listen. We laugh about anything and cry about nothing. Time stops when we are together. Two meals, three desserts, five appetizers and uncounted coffee refills we decided to head home. One good thing about Jolly's? Its 24 hours open.

Lara and I finalized details of our Southeat Asia n trip. It's long overdue but the thrills made me forget for some time the brewing feelings I have for Chris. It's all placed on the backseat.

After dropping Lara off at her house I headed home. It was only then that I realized how I missed my phone.

15 missed Calls and 3 texts all from Chris.

I started reading:

"Am I really seeing you at Jolly's? Or I'm starting imagining you're here even if you're not?" – 3:00PM

"No, it's really you. I thought you're too tired to socialize with anybody? See me after?"- 4:03PM

"I would totally understand if you won't go out with me for a good reason, but you lying to me?! – 4:55PM"

I was more than perplexed. I'm not his girlfriend or him my boyfriend. So what is wrong with the picture?

Does he have the right? I believe he doesn't have any as much as I don't have on him. So what's left to do now?

I chose not to response on his texts for several good reasons. First what will I tell him? Second what will I tell him? Third what will I tell him? All those reasons sound valid right?

Come Monday morning I'm sure as the sun rises in east that Chris with his angry messages will not see me for lunch.

Yet, he did! At 10:30AM just like the weeks ago he stood by my cubicle's door taking off his dark shades all mesmerizing than ever. Talking as if nothing happened, as always.

"Saree, brunch?"

I need to find a good excuse.

"I'm sorry Mr. Wess I can't join you, I have a deadline by 12:00noon" pointing at my enormous pile of papers.

At the back of my mind I'm hoping he'll push me and I'll simply say sure why not. But I'm also praying against hope that he'll do that for I might just really say yes. Ugh! I'm hopeless.

Miraculously he didn't push me. He wore his shades back and left. No words. No explanation. Nothing.

It broke my heart to be doing this to him, but I know I have to love myself a little bit more.

His mood swings and silent treatment is cutting me to the core.

I know I have to stop myself before it even gets bloody. I know I'm doing the right thing for both of us and for Eric.  

A/N:

Dearests,

What do you think of Lara? I like her, I hope you do too! Imagine her going head to head with Chiara. You want that?! hahaha

Lovelots,

B