Chapter 5:

*Third POV*

"You failed!" Capture's voice raged through the dark room at Johnathan who was standing at the wooden door, flinching slightly at the sound.

"Sir let me explain-" he tried, taking a step inside and looked at the furious figure with caution.

"No!" Capture cut him off with a swipe of his arm, and glared at Johnathan fiercely, "Let me remind you what is at stake here..."

Staring in horror as Capture pulled a picture from his coat pocket, holding it up so it could be in clear sight, Johnathan felt his breath struggle to escape his lungs, and he knew it wasn't just the smoke from the fireplace.

"I am trying, sir," he said, almost as if he was pleading, "But the Underground got a hold of her too quickly, it was unpredictable what they would do."

"Wrong, Johnathan," Capture growled as his fingers clung to the picture tighter, the smiling young girl on the front crumbling at his grip, "They are predictable. I told you what they were doing. I always know what they are doing."

Still staring at the picture, Johnathan didn't move a muscle, afraid that if he did, something terrible would happen to the girl in the photograph.

"Do..." he started, his stone eyes unblinking and his chest tightening from worry, "Do they know about you yet?"

Capture turned to face the fire, his eyes staring into it as his hand twirled the golden coin, the other clinging to the photo.

"They are getting close..." he sneered, his voice tense and angry.

Johnathan simply nodded, and his stone eyes were still attached to the picture, his body stiff and unmoving.

Capture continued darkly, "Which is why I need that girl... and I can't afford to have you fail again."

As Capture tightened his fist around the picture (so tightly his hand began shaking in rage) Johnathan's stone eyes suddenly filled with worry and he reached forward as if he could stop the picture from crumbling.

"No please!" He pleaded as Capture glanced back at him behind his black fedora, "Give me one last chance! I can catch her I swear! You know where she is. So tell me, and I will retrieve her."

Capture snarled and continued clinging to the picture as he growled, "She is in The Underground's mansion. Find her there."

"Sir, with all do respect," Johnathan said cautiously, eyeing the picture with the knowledge that with one word Capture could have his daughter dead, "The mansion has five floors, and over 150 rooms... how do you expect me to find her so easily?"

"I know the room she is in!" Capture shouted, gripping the picture so tightly Johnathan felt as if his heart might stop, "On the fifth floor, highest off the ground, with only the elevator for entrance. It is where most sleeping quarters are. She is in the room with no windows, except there is a vent under her dresser, I'm sure you can get her that way."

Johnathan nodded once, and decided it best not to ask how Capture knows all that.

Though he did ask, "Why couldn't you catch her yourself? You have the ability, and more oppertunities..."

Capture growled low, "You fool... If I blow my cover, it's all over for Cortex... I have to keep my place in The Underground, so I need you to collect her."

"What about... you being assigned to-"

Capture cut him off with a twitching grin and a grip of the photo, glancing behind him at the terrified man.