Chapter 20:

*Third POV*

It took longer than expected to return to the mansion, and during the whole ride home Sans and Frisk said not one word to each other.

Both were contemplating their own thoughts and emotions, wondering what to make of the other beside them in the car.

Frisk thought of the fear that Sans drove into Gabriel and Jeeves, and she did begin to wonder why she was not afraid of him.

He had never done anything to hurt her, or show her harm.

If anything, he seemed to have a soft spot for her.

'Or a soft spot in general...' Frisk thought as her eyes glanced at Sans in the seat beside her.

That was the last thought she had before Sans stopped the car and rolled down the window, looking to the screen that asked for a password.

Frisk watched him carefully as he leaned out the window and moved his fingers to press the buttons on the key pad.

However, before he touched one number, he glanced back at Frisk, raising an eyebrow.

"You can look away now," Sans said, narrowing his eyes a bit.

Frisk rolled her eyes and stated, "Oh come on Sans, if I'm a part of your team don't you think I should be allowed to know the codes?"

Sans shook his head then grinned, "Nope. Can't afford having you escape."

"I thought you weren't worried about that," she smirked and lowered her eyes, happy to find something she could prove, "You did just take me out of the mansion and into the city, and I didn't even try to escape!"

As Frisk said this out-loud, she realized how stupid she was in the past hour and a half. She had the perfect opportunity to escape; any time that Sans was looking away or talking to someone else, she could have taken off in a sprint and hid. She could have distracted him with something that caught his attention (which could be anything really) and then ran off, not letting him take notice. 

Why hadn't she?

Was it because of the fear Sans might catch her and hurt her?

Was it the fact she was warming up to their hospitality?

Whatever it was, Sans gave an answer, as he said, "You didn't escape because you're trying to gain our trust."

'I'll go with that,' Frisk thought, trying to give herself an answer to her own dilemma, 'I was only doing it to gain his trust. But even if I was trying to gain their trust, clearly Sans sees that, so it wouldn't work due to the fact he is aware of the supposed trickery on my behalf and-'

"See? Look who's smart now," Sans added, tapping his skull with a finger and a wink.

'He's adorable,'

'What are you thinking?!'

Quickly, she scolded herself for thinking such things and tried to cover her blush by looking away from Sans, noticing him move out the window to type the code.

Frisk could hear the buttons click, and she glanced in the window to eye the reflection of Sans through the mirror. She watched his figure move to each button he pressed, and she thought back to his movements as she heard the sudden "beep", meaning the gate was open.

As she watched it open and felt Sans slide back into the seat beside her, she smiled to herself with a smug attitude, knowing every number that Sans had typed.

427837.

That was the number he typed.

She knew this, because in the reflection of Sans typing, she memorized his movements and the certain beeps that each number made once he pressed them, calculating the time it took to reach each side of the keypad and which number it would have to be that matched that beep, the time, and his particular movement.