Chapter 22:

*Third POV*

Frisk had just finished her first set of files when she felt the phone in her pocket buzz, notifying her of a text message.

Having forgotten she even had the phone, Frisk jumped a bit and looked around, half expecting Chara to show up again to shame her even more. However, Chara wasn't there, and she felt stupid not knowing what the buzzing sound came from.

When it buzzed again, she pulled it from her pocket and checked the contact.

Already a name was there, and it read, 'Toriel', underneath it, the words:

Toriel: -Frisk? I wanted to see if your phone was working well or not.

Frisk blinked and tried to remember the last time she had a phone. She never got one, not willing to risk Cortex finding her. She had one to contact her parents before she even joined Cortex.

Why had she joined in the first place?

Where were her parents now?

They cared about her from the beginning, but ever since she moved out they had lost contact with her.

If only they stayed around.

She texted back:

Frisk: -Yes, it works fine. Thank you for testing it out.

Setting it aside, not expecting a reply, Frisk started to organize the files in alphabetical order, but before she could read the first name, the phone buzzed again, and she looked at it to see Toriel had already replied.

Toriel: -Oh good! Now you won't have to worry about asking for anything you need, or want. How has Sans been treating you? Asgore says he is quite impressed with your smarts!

A bit surprised, yet flattered, Frisk waited a moment before taking the phone and hesitating with a reply, their conversation beginning.

Frisk: -Sans has been treating me fine. I haven't gotten any food though.

Toriel: -I can send someone to bring you something... But you do know you can go out of your room any time, and get food right?

Frisk felt slightly selfish, realizing she was making them bring her food instead of getting some herself. Was her comfort more important than them?

She quickly typed back:

Frisk: -I forgot, I'm sorry. Don't worry about bringing me food, I can grab some myself. Thank you.

She was about to put the phone into her pocket, but felt it buzz one more time. As she looked at it, she gasped, and paused as she read it.

Toriel: -Alright my child, but don't ever feel afraid to ask for anything. I am willing to do anything to help you be comfortable.

Frisk stared at the words in confusion, not sure if the text was sincere or simply because they wanted to keep her. Hadn't she read something about this type of mental disease? Stockholm syndrome? It meant that a victim gains a sort of love or respect for their captor, and Frisk began wondering if this was their goal the whole time.

Nevertheless, she felt a warm feeling of trust well up in her chest, and she thought about how wonderful it would be to hear those words from her own mother.

After sending Toriel a thank you, Frisk put the phone in her back pocket, and turned to the door of her room, pulling out her card.

Then, she moved to the door, and opened it.