Chapter Five

When I awoke, the sun was beginning to rise and the birds began to sing from outside the dreary walls of the hospital. Something that was particularity unusual, or something I never cared to notice. I instantly remembered the events that took hold yesterday and dropped my head back into the deflated pillow underneath my head. I looked to my side to see Marion still sleeping, with the corners of her mouth slightly turned upward into a small smile. At least someone had a good sleep.

I hopped out of the uncomfortable bed and changed into a pair of black jeans and a white hoodie, something I knew would be stained by the end of the day. I pulled my dark brown hair into a bun, not caring about the few stray hairs left behind, and peeked into the hallway to see if Zak was still there. To my dismay, he wasn't.

I turned back into my mother's room and closed the door behind me. The sun had risen completely and golden sunlight peered through the washed-out curtain, settling gently on the foot of my mother's bed. I looked outside the window to see nurses and doctors getting in and out of their cars, the nightshift was over, and the dayshift had begun.

The door creaked open and one of my mother's usual morning nurse walked in. The sunlight illuminated her dark skin, giving her the image of a glowing God.

"Good morning." She hushed, making sure not to disturb Marion's slumber.

"Morning Josie." I hummed. She smiled in return.

She pulled out a clipboard and inspected all the machines hooked up to Marion, and made sure to change her IV bag.

Josie knew about everything that was going on. She cared a lot more than some of the other nurses that looked after Marion. I trusted her.

"How's your day been so far hun? I heard there was a fine man who slept outside the door all night last night."

I sighed and looked at Josie.

"That fine man is apparently my father."

She swung her head toward me with an unforgettable look of disbelief.

"You're kidding!"

I sat down in the chair and rolled my head back and looked up toward the ceiling.

"I wish I was Josie, I wish I was."

She let out a deep breath and wrote a few more words on her clipboard and looked back at me, still staring at the ceiling.

"What's on your mind darling?"

I groaned. And waited a few seconds before releasing my thoughts and emotions about the sudden appearance Zak made on my life. I told her about the letter, that my mother lied, the dinner where he told me he was my father, and that he just wanted to swoop in and save the day, and that I didn't know him well enough, I didn't want to live my life with some complete stranger.

"Do you mind if I give you some advice?" I met her honey brown eyes and nodded.

"You know I would never forgive myself if I turned down some advice from the all so wise Josie?" I smirked.

She chuckled and put her clipboard down.

"This man, stranger or not, was willing to sleep on one of those god awful chairs all night to make sure you were okay. I've seen quite a few crazy families in my day, but it's a rare occasion that someone is willing to wait for you like that."

She was right.

"And not to mention, not every man would just hop on a plane and fly over here just because of a note, and a note that tells them they have a child either."