Chapter Fifteen

"You called me Dad, I know you did."

"Did not."

"Yes you did, I heard you."

"I swear, I didn't call you Dad."

"Charlie, admit it."

"Why would I admit to something I didn't do?"

"Seriously Charlie? Why won't you come clean?"

"I am coming clean! I didn't call you Dad. You must have thought you heard it when you were in your scary ghost coma."

He tightened his jaw and rolled his eyes. No more words were exchanged as we walked back to the bus, not until we stood before its open door.

"Ghost coma?"

I rubbed my face with my hands.

"That's what I'm calling it; if you don't like then don't say it."

Zak laughed.

"I do like it." He continued to chuckle for a few seconds before clearing his throat and returning to a more serious gaze. I huffed and walked onto the bus.

I swear I heard him mumble the word 'daughters' under his breath.

"Stop walking away from me and talk to me. Why are you so mad?"

I immediately stopped and turned around to face him. "Why am I so mad?" he nodded, waiting for me to answer his question.

"You scared me! I thought you were going to die! You didn't even know who I was when I found you, and the way you looked at me," I took a deep breath. "The last time I saw that face on someone they tried to kill me. And, not to mention they were almost successful in doing so."

Zak was taken aback. His face was immediately written with guilt. He walked over to me and hugged me.

"I get it. I really do, but this is my job, stuff happens like this all the time. Well, not this, this was definitely the first time I've gone into a ghost coma," he smiled, "But Charlie, my job is dangerous and I love it, but now that you're here I realize I just have to be extra careful. I promise I won't die, okay?"

I nodded and hugged him back.

"I'm holding you to that promise, be safe tonight please." Zak nodded and rested his head ontop of mine.

"I will."

*****************

"Okay, that's it we are ready to go." Billy smiled.

"All right, it's go time!" Aaron was pumped and ready for some action.

I put a smile on my face and Zak softly grabbed my arm.

"Okay, so no more running into the building for tonight. Stay on the bus, understand?" Zak was very clear.

I nodded. "I promise I won't, but I am allowed to go outside for some fresh air right? I mean, it might get a little stuffy" I sweetly smiled.

Zak considered my question. "Fine, but if you are far enough away that you can't reach and touch the outside of the bus, you're too far."

"Got it." I smiled and lightly pushed him toward the exit of the bus. "Now get out of here and do your job!"

Zak laughed and walked off the bus to join the rest of the guys, and left me and Jay on the bus to watch the video feed.

I watched from the windows as they faded into the night. I was still worried.