Chapter Fourty

Alright! So, after lots of thought, I decided to not end this book anytime soon. YAY! 

Quite a few people actually in-boxed me to ask me to keep writing this, and that really inspired me to  write more chapters. So thank you for that. It really makes me happy when people go out of their way to tell me how much they like this book. 

******************************

After getting out of the bathroom I dressed myself in black jeans and a white tee. Then, I loosely braided my semi-long hair in side braid and draped it over my shoulder. I took one final look in the mirror at my clothing choice, and gave myself a small nod at my decent looks.

I turned around and faced my room. I needed to clean this mess up. I sighed and put my hands on my hips. I did not want to do this. I bent over and picked up a couple sweaters from the floor below, but then I realized that I really didn't want to do this. So, I threw the clothes I had picked up back on the ground and stood up straight.

Movement outside caught my attention and caused me to walk toward the window to investigate. I stood at my window and creepily spied on the people who were walking up my driveway. I squinted my eyes to get a better view. It was the guys.

They all held a box in each hand and each had smiles on their faces. They were talking so loud I could hear tem talking, but I could only hear a few words they were saying through the walls of the house. Something about being excited and how much they couldn't wait. I shook my head. They were probably here to work on a few things, just like Zak. I thought nothing more about their arrival and stepped away from the window and back facing my room.

I looked down at the ground and groaned. I really should clean this mess up. And for the second time I bent down and picked up my clothes.

********************

Half an hour later, and my room was clean. All my dirty clothes had been thrown into a pile in the corner of my room, and everything clean was put away. I stood in the center of my room and proudly smiled, it was a lift off my shoulders to have finally cleaned my room.

A sudden scratching sound at my door caught my attention. Knowing who it was, I happily walked to my door and opened it, only to be happily greeted by Gracie.

"Hiya Gracie" I said. She just sat at the entrance of my door with her tail wagging and hitting the floor from her excitement. I looked down at her collar, which wasn't the same bedazzled pink collar I was used to seeing. Instead it was blue with balloons and a small note attached dangling from it.

I scratched the underneath of Gracie's chin and removed the note.

You can't resist me on a hot summer day. I am where you swim, splash, and play.

My face scrunched up in confusion. What is this? I decided to follow the clue and walk to the pool. As I walked down the stairs I yelled for Zak.

"Dad?" I called, but there was no answer. Gracie followed me down the stars, but turned and ran somewhere else as I made my way outside and toward the pool. I walked through the sliding glass doors and stood in front of the pool, but no one was there. Instead, sitting at my feet, was another card.

Open up, my great big door. You might find a car, or maybe more

"The garage" I whispered to myself.

I made my way through the house and into the garage, but once again, nobody was there; only Zak's black SUV. I looked around for any more clues, but I found nothing. Just as I was about to exit the garage, I looked to my side and saw the garage door opener with a small note attached to it.

Push me

I shrugged my shoulders and hit the button with my palm. The humming sound of the garage door opening filled my ears. I watched as it slowly rolled up, exposing Zak, Aaron, Billy, and Jay standing at the entrance. A giant smiled erupted on all their faces when they saw me standing there. In their hands were confetti shooters and they shot off, releasing rainbow colored confetti into the air.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" They shouted together.

I immediately smiled and ran to Zak. The sound of my bare feet running across the concrete followed me as I jumped up into his arms and hugged him. He was initially taken aback by the sudden force hitting him, but he recovered within seconds and hugged me back.

"I thought you forgot" I whispered into his shoulder. He scoffed.

"I would never forget my daughter's birthday. Especially not her eighteenth" I could hear the smile in his voice.

I lifted my head from his shoulders and kissed his cheek, then released from the hug. I walked up to the guys and each gave them a giant hug for the surprise.

"Alright! Time for the presents" Aaron cheered.

Presents? I totally forgot there would be a presents.

I looked over to Zak, who had a smug smile on his face. "It's on its way"

I looked at him with a worried expression. What on earth did this man get me for my birthday?

I looked around. Only to realize, Billy was gone. What were they up to?

Zak walked up behind me and covered my eyes with his hands. "Okay I'm gonna count to ten, and then you can open your eyes"

I smiled. "Okay"

"One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten!" Everyone was counting.

"Open your eyes Charlie!" Zak removed his hands. I gasped.

In front of me was a sleek, black, Audi. To say it was a luxury car, was an understatement.

I slowly walked to it and traced to smooth exterior with my fingertips. I looked back at Zak. "It's mine?"

He smiled and nodded. "It's all yours"

I squealed. I never had my own car. Back in Phoenix I always walked everywhere, and occasionally took the bus, never a car. I even had my license. But that was because Marion needed a chauffeur when she got a DUI, and that was the only time she ever really needed me.

I gazed at the car in admiration. When I looked back up at Zak, it was like he had read my mind.

"Okay, okay. Let's take it for a drive" He tried to hide it, but he was excited to be in the Audi too.

I got in the driver's side at the same time Zak stepped into the passenger side. I looked around. I had never ever owned anything as expensive as this. I scanned the dashboard and held my eyes on an object that definitely did not come with the car.

I looked over to Zak, who held a very amused smile on his face.

"Really?" I asked. An amused grin was also playing on my lips.

He looked at the object and his smile grew. "I thought it was funny"

I just shook my head and laughed. He had put a ghostbusters bobble head of Peter Vankman (Bill Murray) on the dashboard.

"You are such a loser" I laughed. He just chuckled and flicked the bobble head causing it to wobble.

I faced the steering wheel and started the engine.

"Let's see what this baby can do"