Chapter Thirty-Five

Another hour had passed. I was running out of ways to bring myself back to life.

I was wandering the halls again, but nothing was giving me any ideas. I slowly made my way back to the morgue, but someone else was in there. I peeked around the corner and saw Zak standing there looking over my body.

I ran to his side. "Dad! You came back"

'He can't hear you Charlie'

Right, I forgot.

"I was supposed to protect you" he whispered. "And I couldn't even do that. I'm so sorry Charlie"

"I forgive you" I replied. I put my hand on his again, and he jumped.

"Charlie?" he looked around the room. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the Ovilus.

"Charlie, if you're here, I need you to talk into this device. Please talk to me"

"I forgive you" I said, but nothing showed on the screen.

I realized I didn't have enough energy. I looked around the room, but nothing was sufficient enough for me to drain. Then I looked at Zak.

"Sorry dad"

I grabbed his shoulder and let the pulse of his energy flow into my soul. It felt amazing.

He buckled over in confusion. He'll be fine, I'm sure this had happened to him more than a thousand times.

Alright let's try this one more time.

"I forgive you" I said into the device.

Seconds later the Siri-like voice repeated the word forgive. He smiled in delight.

"It's you!"

It made me happy to finally see him smile.

"Say something else Charlie, say anything"

I didn't know if I could, just pushing the three words into the living world drained me.

I took a deep breath. "Help"

The device repeated it. He looked at it and furrowed his eyebrows. "What's wrong Charlie?"

I needed to savour my energy and say as little words as possible.

"Alive"

It repeated.

"Heart"

He was still looking confused.

"Beating"

It repeated it again. He stared at it with a blank expression.

"Jesus dad do you need me to explain it anymore!?" I yelled angrily.

"Jesus" it repeated.

"Fucking hell" this was painful.

After a few seconds, he finally spoke. "What are you saying?"

This time I yelled. "IM STILL ALIVE AND IM STUCK!"

"Alive. Stuck" she repeated.

"Wait... what?" he took a step back. Once he'd composed himself, he pulled the sheets off my body exposing the nasty surgery scar and put his head on top of my heart. His head shot up right away.

"Oh my god" he said shakily.

"HELP! HELP!" He yelled. A man answered his pleas and rushed into the room.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

"She's alive, I heard her heartbeat!" he pointed at me. "Please believe me!" he pleaded.