Chapter Seventeen

I don't remember much from the ride back from Pennsylvania to Vegas. Just the fact that I slept for the whole 36 hour drive. When I would wake up, all I did was groan and not just from the nightmares, but also from the headaches and flashbacks from what happened that night. The guys had obviously experienced it before, because every time I would come out of the bedroom on the bus, they would just say that it was the "Phantom Phlu" and that I would be fine in a few days.

The scratches on my face had healed; they were nothing serious, just little claw marks that took up half my face and neck for 24 hours. Zak didn't really want to talk to me for the drive, and not just because he didn't want to wake me from sleeping. According to Billy, he felt awful about what happened, and he was slightly blaming himself for taking me along with him to Pennsylvania. He also a little angry about the fact that I still went into the asylum when he strictly told me not to; no matter how many times I told him I thought it was him who was calling me to go inside. He didn't even talk to me when the bus dropped us off at home; he just grabbed his bag, said bye to the guys and walked in through the front door.

"Well, good-bye guys" I laughed. "Wish me luck! Until next time!" I waved. But before I got off the bus, each one of the guys gave me a massive hug. Aaron was the last one. While he hugged me he whispered in my ear. "If you need anything Charlie, and I mean anything, you call either me, Jay or Billy, you're practically our niece now" he squeezed me tighter. When he let go I kissed his scruffy cheek. "Thank you" I whispered

After our sentimental moment, I stood on the sidewalk and waved goodbye as I watched the bus take off with my newfound uncles. Once the bus was out of view I turned and looked at the house before me, I was standing in the same spot when I first saw the house after Zak brought me here from Arizona. The time I was about to run away by jumping into the taxi.

I hulled my heavy Adidas bag over my shoulder and walked up the very long driveway until I reached the double doors, the second I opened them, I was greeted with a very excited Gracie.

Her tail was wagging like crazy and she immediately went on her hind paws to say hello. I rubbed her belly and scratched her ears, oh how I missed her.

Next, I went up to my room. Just before I walked in, I looked over at Zak's room across the hallway. His door was closed and you could see his shadow walking back and forth in front of the door, and then the knob began to turn. As fast as I could, I jumped into my room and out of the hallway. I was going to let Zak think and calm down before he freaks out and regrets something else.

I heard him stop and stand in the hallway, he was probably looking at my door and thinking about knocking and talking to me, but then I heard him sigh and walk down the stairs; the sound of Gracie's dog collar followed him.

As soon as his footsteps receded, I jumped onto my bed and sighed, I could still feel the misery and pain I felt when Rosemary held my hand. When she touched me, all the horrible things that had ever happened in my life resurfaced. Being abused as a child, being bullied at school, calling the cops as I watched my mom overdose, being put into an abusive home while in foster care, and especially the time I cheated death after Marion's ex-boyfriend tried to kill me. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I shivered just remembering it now.

I stood up and walked into the bathroom. As I stared myself in the mirror I realized how gross I looked. My mascara was running down the corners of my eyes and hair looked like a bird had taken refuge in it for weeks. I didn't really care too much at the moment, but I knew a nice hot shower would make me feel better.

*********************************************

I was right, the hot shower did make me feel better, and it was kind of gross to see how much dirt and grime came off me.